Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about powerpoints on skirting?

sarahlo
Getting Established

What to do about powerpoints on skirting?

B2D34C97-5ABC-4EC4-92C3-088CF00A168F.jpeg

Hi all! I have just moved into a place with these annoying skirting GPOs.  None of my power boards will plug in due to the proximity to the floor.  Any ideas? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do about powerpoints on skirting?

Hello @sarahlo

Thank you for sharing your question about your powerpoints. The plug positions are too low and would be impossible to plug in a regular power board or extension cord. If there is a technique, only the landlord knows how it's done. I suggest calling your property manager and asking them if there is a way to plug into this powerpoint. The only other option I can recommend is to ask a registered electrician to change the powerpoints height.     

Let me call on our experienced members @MikeTNZ and @TedBear for their recommendations

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @sarahlo 

Maybe you could try an adaptor similar to this below. Available from Bunnings, at least you can use the top plug, it also has surge protection.

Or as @EricL suggested  a short lead connected to the power point then connect the the power board to the end of the lead.

JoeAzza_1-1666339071189.png

JoeAzza_2-1666339169832.png

JoeAzza_3-1666339356648.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @sarahlo 

"Any ideas?"

Thump on the desk of the real estate agent and demand action.

What an amazing situation. It looks like the floor is rising similar to our current flooding. Is that concrete with lino covering?

No wonder you can't get a plug into it - the 'floor' is nearly at the height of the earth pin. To my eyes I can't see that adapter working because of the distance indicated...

Scan1153.jpg

Please, please, let us know how you get on with this.

sarahlo
Getting Established

I remember seeing along time ago,

a plug with a flat bottom.  I might ask some electrical companies if it still exists.  I’m not in this house for too long it’s just to get by for now this particular point I need to plug in my WIFI.   All the bedrooms have the same.  Renovated kitchen and laundry are ok though.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Have you tried a cord that exists on the rear of the plug, @sarahlo? Something like this Arlec 3m White Extension Lead? @Noyade has depicted the issue most adaptors will face as their chassis extends a substantial distance downward below the earth pin. In the image below, I've indicated how a rear entry plug is of a smaller size. Some extension leads use quite soft plastic for the plug, and you might just squeeze it in.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I’m looking for a powerboard.  Not lead to board.  Otherwise it’s too long.  If it doesn’t exist I have no option I guess. It’s a shame Arlec doesn’t do a swivel plug to power board 

sarahlo
Getting Established

I should note this wasn’t my original  heading it been changed. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

@sarahlo 

I believe (I could be wrong) sometimes the titles are changed to assist with the search function.

Looking even closer at your photo - it would appear the submerged power point casing is cracked above the active and neutral pin holes.

With this and being so close to the floor and therefore an electrical hazard, would it not be advisable to inform the landlord or real estate of its existence?

It may not help you, as you mentioned you will be moving out soon - but what about the new tenants?

cracked.PNG

sarahlo
Getting Established

I have just moved in the last few weeks.  The owner moved out.  She is well aware of the condition of her property.  I’m saying I’m not staying long as my house is being built.  The personal details isn’t really what I want to discuss, but as you are incorrect I feel I have to justify.  What is also a hazard is running an extension lead across the middle of the lounge which is the current situation. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects