Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where can i find a taller wardrobe door?

newbie25
Growing in Experience

Where can i find a taller wardrobe door?

Hi all, i have this walkin wardrobe which is an eye sore to look at. I want to put a barn door here, but the problem is the weird measurement. Its 2180mm×870mm. I cannot find anything beyond 2040mm high.  Got a quote for custom made door thats beyond my budget.Is there any easier solution?

Screenshot_20211110-172229_Messenger.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: where can i find a taller door?

Hello @newbie25

Thank you for sharing your question about where to find a taller door for your walk-in wardrobe. 

Since you've already asked about a custom-sized door at the Special Orders Desk your other option is to build one. The minimum thickness of an interior door is 35mm. You can use several types of timber to achieve the thickness of the door, and keep it lightweight at the same time. 

I recommend 2 sheets of Easycraft EasyVJ 2420 x 1200 x 9mm Primed Interior Wall Lining and CustomWood MDF 2400 x 1200 x 18mm Standard MDF Panel. Measure the door opening and draw out on paper the size of the door. Your objective is to have the door overlap the opening on all sides so cutting the door to 950mm to 1000mm wide is ideal. 

Cut the EasyVJ panel to your desired door size. Cut the MDF panel to create a frame around the EasyVJ. You can leave the middle of the door void, but I suggest putting a panel in the middle for rigidity. Sandwich the panels together using Selleys 320g Liquid Nails Original Construction Adhesive. I suggest using Zenith 8G x 25mm Countersunk Gold Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 40 Pack to secure the panels together.

I've placed a basic sketch below on how to put it together, please let me know if you have any questions about it. If you wish to build a more complex barn door please let me know. Please note the measurements are for reference only. Please adjust them to your needs.

Please keep us updated with your project, we look forward to seeing your barn door built and ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects