Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which dry wall fixings are best for a floating shelf?

arthur1
Just Starting Out

Which dry wall fixings are best for a floating shelf?

Hi , I,ve bought a flexi storage  900w x 38h x 240d mm floating shelf in oak but have found the self drilling plastic fixings that come with shelf are not very good . What fixing are better and stronger suited for the floating shelves. Shelves bought at bunnings.

Thankyou

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which dry wall fixings are best for a floating shelf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @arthur1. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a floating shelf.

The fixings in the kit should be adequate for mounting the shelf with a maximum load capacity of up to 5kg for plasterboard and up to 10kg for masonry. Have the fixings failed, or are you having difficulty installing them? What type of wall do you have? I have older plaster and find the self-drilling fixings have difficulty screwing into my walls, so I drill a 4mm pilot hole to allow for easier installation.

It's best to stick with the fixings included, so troubleshooting why they are not working correctly would be best before suggesting alternatives. However, there are Ramset Zinc WallMate Anchors or Plasterboard Hollow Wall Anchors that you could consider using instead.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects