Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wondering what the difference between Beech Laminated Panel and Jointed Beech Panel?

DLI
Finding My Feet

Wondering what the difference between Beech Laminated Panel and Jointed Beech Panel?

I'm new to the whole D.I.Y table scene and I was wondering what the difference was between Beech Laminated Panel and Jointed Beech Panel. The two items I am looking at are https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1200-x-600-x-18mm-finger-jointed-beech-panel_p8330199 and https://www.bunnings.com.au/2200-x-600-x-26mm-beech-laminated-panel_p8330041 (I will cut this down if I feel it is too long but looking at other forums, cutting laminated beech is fine). I am also considering mounting probably a monitor to the desk so it would also be great if someone could tell me which type of panel is sturdier and harder. 

Thanks! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wondering what the difference between Beech Laminated Panel and Jointed Beech Panel

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DLI. It's fabulous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

I'll include some images of my finger-jointed benchtop. Finger-jointing is a method of connecting two timber pieces, so there is the maximum amount of surface area for glue. It's a stronger connection than butting the square ends up against each other. You can not see the finger-jointing on the benchtop surface.

The products that state they are laminated refer to the fact that they have multiple square pieces of timber glued together. These do not have a finger-jointed construction method.

Either of these two construction methods would be suitable for your table, with the finger-jointed products being slightly stronger.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Wondering what the difference between Beech Laminated Panel and Jointed Beech Panel

Thank you for the advice! I will stick with the jointed ones. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Have you decided on how you'll be constructing the desk @DLI? You might like to read through these panel desk discussions for inspiration:

There's also an excellent step-by-step guide which you should find useful: How to build a desk by @Peggers.

I look forward to following along with your project and can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects