Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to get rid of cool white led downlights?

newbie25
Growing in Experience

how to get rid of cool white led downlights?

Just bought a house and came to know that the led downlights installed are cool white which i absolutely hate . There are approximately 25 sharp white downlights installed throughout the house including living, dining, kitchen and stairs. Another  problem i feel is that all the standing decorative lamps i have are all warm white. Both colors dont get along good. I have plans to put chandeliers or pendants as well, all in warm white. Please suggest me a cost effective solution to change these downlights to warm white.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: how to get rid of cool white led downlights?

Hi newbie25,

Best way to do it so all 25 sharp white lights are reduced to warm, is to contact an electrician and have him put in limiting resistors into your lighting circuit to reduce voltage..

The effect would be the same as when you use a light dimmer..

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

There are adjustable downlights so you may get lucky and find that's what's in you house so I suggest you check this first. Simply pull them down/out from the ceiling (they're held it with a spring loaded clip) and on the side/back there's a small switch to change between cool and warm.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newbie25,

Congratulations on purchasing your new house. It's great to see you've already received some helpful guidance from our members.

Could we trouble you for some images of the downlights in question? It would be beneficial to know what type they are in order to provide a solution. It might be a case of just retrofitting different globes; however, if they are a self-contained unit, the whole light might need to be swapped over. It would be worth following @ProjectPete's advice to see if there is a selector switch. As always if you are in doubt about checking this yourself, please enlist the assistance of a qualified electrician.

We look forward to hearing additional details of the lighting fixtures.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Prof,

I totally disagree with this idea,

Any resistor you put in the circuit will dissipate the lost energy as heat, this would require at least 10-20Watt resistors on a heatsink and possibly fan-forced ventilation, otherwise you have a fire risk.

I'm not sure any Electrician would want that on their conscience.

Also, it will not change the colour temperature of the lamps.

The best way to do this, is change the lamps to a different colour temperature, simple as.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Mike,

You can get resistors up to 100W. which would handle the load..but if the electrician can isolate the circuit for the LED'S only then 2 x 25W. resistors

would handle the load easily...

If the lights are able to be dimmed, then obviously the intensity would be reduced, which would have a similar effect to putting in warm globes..

Obviously the easiest way is to just replace the globes with warm ones..but at what cost for 25 globes !?

newbie25
Growing in Experience

Omg ,thankyou so much @ProjectPete . I just checked and found a switch behind the light. Switched to 3000k and it was all warm white.

Thanks alot, couldnt have figured this out by myself.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's fantastic news @newbie25. I trust @ProjectPete will be excited to hear his solution solved your issue.

Many thanks for updating us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Happy to help 😊

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
newbie25
Growing in Experience

Thankyou all , i changed all downs but the two on the stairs. They are way too high for any ladder to reach . There's a manhole nearby, but i am too scared that i might just fall through the plasterboard and end my life..lol. Any suggestion to reach these two downlights safely?

20201231_212349.jpg

20201231_212334.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects