Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to get rid of cool white led downlights?

newbie25
Growing in Experience

how to get rid of cool white led downlights?

Just bought a house and came to know that the led downlights installed are cool white which i absolutely hate . There are approximately 25 sharp white downlights installed throughout the house including living, dining, kitchen and stairs. Another  problem i feel is that all the standing decorative lamps i have are all warm white. Both colors dont get along good. I have plans to put chandeliers or pendants as well, all in warm white. Please suggest me a cost effective solution to change these downlights to warm white.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to get rid of cool white led downlights?

Hi @newbie25,

Apologies for the slow reply. @MitchellMc is taking a well-earned break at the moment and will be back in a week. 

Let me tag @Prof@ProjectPete and @MikeTNZ to see how they would tackle this job safely.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Short of scaffolding, roof space is best way to go. Walking on the rafters is pretty easy @newbie25 - you could run a decent width plank of timber on too of the rafters so you have something to walk/balance on. Hope that makes sense.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi @newbie25,

I apologise for the delay in my reply. It's great to see @ProjectPete has already addressed your question.

Since you have potentially saved yourself a great deal of money by finding that you can switch the colouring, perhaps it would be wise to splurge on a handy person's cost to finish the job. If you are not confident in going into the roof space yourself, I encourage you not to risk it and employ some help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
newbie25
Growing in Experience

Thankyou @ProjectPete  and @MitchellMc for your advices. I agree with Mitchell ,and will  hire someone to finish the job safely. 

Thanks again .

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@ProfSorry Prof, that won't work.
The colour of LED lights is determined by the type of internal LED chips when they are manufactured.
Changing the forward current will have NIL effect on the colour.
With incandescent bulbs that was true - at lower voltages the became redder, and at higher voltages became whiter.
Resistors are never a good idea - they waste energy which you are paying $$ for and they create heat which CAN be a fire hazard.

As @ProjectPete said, on late model downlights there is often a colour temperature switch, usually 3 way for Warm-Cool-Daylight illumination.

It would be ironic if @newbie25 swapped out the old lights only to find later that they were adjustable after all.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects