Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

storage bed

mbl
Just Starting Out

storage bed

Hello all, im totally new at this.

im not really a handy person, but would love to be able to make a gas lift storage bed. im having trouble finding plans, not sure of the tools to use, or how to make sure the bed can handle our weight.

any thoughts, help appreciated.

monty l

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: storage bed

Hi Monty (@mbl)

Welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join the community. I trust you will grow in confidence as you get advice and inspiration from our community members.

This sounds like a very ambitious project! But I trust our members can assist. Have you started with perhaps a sketch or a few photos of something similar so members can get more of an idea of what you'd like to build?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

http://www.rockler.com/hardware/bed-hardware/platform-bed-lifts

http://www.rockler.com/hardware/bed-hardware/bed-rails-hooks-brackets

I have drawers in mine.

I would as a preferane use hidden mortice and tennon joints, I can do dowel joints, biscuit joints, dado joints and pocket holes as well. I have a nailer but I wouldn't use it for bedframes but it is ok for trims.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi mbl

A good place to start is to check out the gas strut capacity to hold weight and lift capacity. The auto industry and heavy indistry are good starting point such as www.strutsaustralia.com.au. if you know the combined weight of bed and structure the matress will rest on they will have an answer

Regards

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mbl,

Hope all is well.

Just checking in to see how you are going with this project? Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

It would also be great if you could share some photos if you've made some progress on the build.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects