Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A small low-level boardwalk

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

A small low-level boardwalk

IMG_0675.jpegAs low decks seem to be a constant subject of interest I thought this was worth sharing as a slightly different situation.

We needed an elevated entry to a new door into our house from the driveway. Being a very level block and having high rainfall it had to provide a dry entry. There is a very small amount of slope in the area so the gravel ensures water can easily flow.

I wanted the deck to be at the same level as where the first step-tread should be on the stringers. That meant I needed to install the first step-tread upside down (underneath).

Due to its position beside the drive in an area that is used for 3-point turns I didn't want to put the edge of the deck right on the edge of the drive as I knew it would be reversed into hence the setback.

Not finished yet as I need some merbau treads & they are impossible to find at the moment and once I have them in I'll dress the side to conceal the stringers & I'll fill the riser gaps too.

I just thought the stages of ensuring clearance may be of interest.

IMG_0667.jpgIMG_0668.jpgIMG_0669.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0675.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A small low-deck boardwalk...

Many thanks for sharing this process with us @Adam_W. It's beneficial in visualising how the soil should be prepared and adequate clearance established on a low-level deck. 

The river gravel looks fantastic and is a nice finishing touch. Make sure to update us once those Merbau step treads are in.

Great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: A small low-level boardwalk

Hello @Adam_W 

It's always a treat to see your handy work! For me it's always a learning experience as I did not imagine you could build a small low level deck in this manner. Looking forward to the next build and learning more! 

Cheers, 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks @redracer01  😎

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

Hey @Adam_W @can you show a photo of what stirrups you used and how they are concreted? Many thanks 

Hi @th-DIYER I didn't get any close-ups of them.
I had to use these, centre-fix stirrups, as for some inexplicable reason my local Bunnings doesn't stock half-stirrups.
Very rudimentary diagram below of how I fixed them in.

stirrups.jpg

shauny
Building a Reputation

@Adam_W  Just a quick question about those stirrups and the footings you put in. How deep and wide did you go with the concrete, anow how much clearance do you have to your timber?

I am about to do a deck partially over a slab, but part is on the ground and I am trying to work out how to do my frame up. Will start my own thread shortly, but just looking at your pic there, I might actually be ok with running a bearer with a bracket like that cemented in, and just dig away a little earth to give enough clearance to my timber.

Hi @shauny ,
the holes were only around 3 to 400mm wide and around 400mm deep. Our soil is quite stable so don't need to go much larger. Each took about 1.5 bags of quickset.
As it's a level area the concrete really just becomes a stabilising dead-weight. It's not a structural footing as it's not taking a major load or on a slope etc.

And a note on concrete... I feel confident using these smaller footings as I've switched to using a high MPa concrete mix as it doesn't crack or crumble like the lower grade stuff.
The lowest point of clearance above the finished gravel was about 50mm and there was around 40mm or so of gravel above the soil.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shauny. It's a pleasure to have you join us and fantastic to hear about your upcoming decking project.

I'm pleased to see @Adam_W has already assisted with your question about his project.

We'll be looking forward to you starting a discussion and sharing your decking project with us. Be sure to check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for some inspiration.

Please let us know anytime you need assistance with your projects around the home or garden, as our knowledgeable members are always willing to lend a hand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects