Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any suggestions for entrance patio makeover?

Ros2
Getting Established

Any suggestions for entrance patio makeover?

89DEBE11-2947-4D3F-8A72-6516F65C7E6C.jpeg

Hi, I would like to make the entrance to my townhouse more interesting and would love some suggestions. It is south facing, so not much sun. A few thoughts were: digging up existing pavers/pebbled concrete - but replace with what? Also maybe either paint brickwork or construct a wooden frame on brickwork for plants?  Do I plant more around the tree?  
Any ideas appreciated!  

5BDCD289-5223-4F31-BF54-64BF797C7BAF.jpeg

BD3F03F2-18C2-42D5-B4BA-B2F7EAF8B9F9.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Entrance Patio makeover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ros2. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about improving the look of your entrance.

The first step is to decide what you don't like about the area. If you're not a fan of the Pebblecrete and pavers, then, by all means, remove them. As you mentioned, you'll need to replace your path with something. Have you considered giving the Pebblecrete and pavers a thorough cleaning with 30 Seconds and a Pressure Washer? Once rejuvenated, they should both look much more attractive.

Are there any themes that you might like to go with? I think an oriental theme would look amazing, but that might not be your thing. 

The wall definitely could use something to break up the space. A verticle garden created from GreenWall units would look stunning. Given the lack of sunlight, it would be best to use ferns and bromeliads. Unreal artificial hedge tiles could also be used. They do a fantastic range of quite realistic luxury tiles as well. I used them to create this guide on How to build a plant wall feature.

Adding decorative pebbles or mulch around the tree would look great, or you might like to create a planting of low shrubs. You could probably get a small water feature in there if you wish.

Are you allowed to paint the brickwork? Even if you just painted the brickwork within your courtyard walls, that would look great.

If you removed the pavers and some soil, you might have enough room to build a low-level deck. If you raised it above the pavers with a step and built it around the tree, you could make a stunning place for a morning cuppa.

I'm keen to follow along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ros2
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, that’s really helpful. 
I think I good paint the lower brickwork (Dulux Surfmist possibly) and maybe get a wooden pallet or something similar to attach to the far wall and then do the vertical garden idea.  I want to check out the artificial tiles and see how realistic they look.  I think more decorative pebbles and a couple of small shrubs near the tree could work. Still not sure what to do with the concrete and pavers. If I took it all up and replace with a few larger square pavers/tiles with pebbles in between do you think that would work?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I think the pavers could work @Ros2. What about paving over the Pebblecrete and old pavers? That would raise the area slightly but could cause a trip hazard when starting the pavers. That would be a whole heap less work than removing the concrete path.

Mitchell

Ros2
Getting Established

That’s another good suggestion.  I’ll do some more homework and let you know how I get on.   

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Ros2 , 

Painting is a great way to freshen up the place. I'll always recommend spraying rather than rolling the paint on as you can get the job done much faster (I did my entire house and started rolling, quickly got sick of it and purchased a sprayer). Rendering is always an option as well. 

For this area, I would go with a combination of wood and artificial screening to bring in some warmth. Two community members did some fantastic work using a similar combo, you can find their projects here & here to get a better idea of the style I'm thinking of. I think the artificial panels look fantastic when contrasted against something like Merbau because it makes them look realistic, that realism lowers when they're used as an entire wall (IMO). 

You have a good opportunity here to go for a concrete / artificial grass combo on the ground. I would match the existing concrete where the bricks currently are and replace the pebbels with an artificial grass of your choice. Keep a small circle around your tree free of the grass and plant some nice flowers or plants of your choice around it to cap that off. 

To finish things off, I would build some corner seating at your entrance that can lift up and double as storage to give you an entrance seating area. 

Hope this helps, let us know what direction you go with :smile: 

Remarka6le
Ros2
Getting Established

Thanks for your ideas Remarkable. The Boston Fern looks to be one of the more realistic ones.  I’m thinking of erecting a timber screen 1800x900 on the brickwork and then attach the fern tiles.  I could get one timber screen 900 wide or get two and then place the fern tiles in the centre of the two, rather than get one and cover it all?  Trying to picture what this would look like.  

430BC509-A24E-4DD7-B3F2-254EC285E20C.png

8F46B01E-E7B4-4258-98A8-552B9E9090EE.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It might look something similar to this @Ros2.

Mitchell

Court.png

Ros2
Getting Established

You’re a gem 😄. Tall plant in the corner perhaps? And large white decorative pebbles to replace paved area?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any suggestions for entrance patio makeover?

@Ros2,

Courtpeb.png

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects