Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Attaching Colorbond fence extension

hbye
Getting Established

Attaching Colorbond fence extension

I am attempting to extend the height of my colourbond fence and have purchased the extension posts, the extension panels and the capping post with the advise of my local Bunnings people. Now that I have everything I need I can’t work out how the panels fit into the posts as they are a lot narrower than the gap in the posts. Is there a tutorial for this? I have looked but can’t find one. I’m thinking that I may have been given wrong information on what I need when I purchased the items. These are the items I was advised I needed. 

078BB5E7-F340-40FE-8D24-248D655F2001.jpeg

damien-22
Growing in Experience

Re: attaching colourbond fence extension to existing fence

Thank you so much for your help. 

If the current colourbond panels are not standard lengths, can the extensions be cut to size? 

Hi @damien-22,

The panels come in full pieces 815mm, 1575mm, 2350mm or 3100mm. You can cut them down with an angle grinder with some care. You will also need to cut the top rail down to size.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
damien-22
Growing in Experience

Great. Thanks for the help!!

Maryam1
Just Starting Out

Re: Attaching Colorbond fence extension

Oh gosh - i just bought 5, had a handyman install otop of masonry - and NOW i see i wasnt even told regarding the brackets, posts or anything atall!!!!! Jumped on here to find HOW do we attach them panels together!!!!!!  He’s already screwed them int the masonary- overlapping slightly - was hoping for just a glue :-0 is it too late ? Can we just install a head and tail bracket?? On an 11 foot long extension piece????

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Attaching Colorbond fence extension

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maryam1. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

These Colorbond extensions and the frame kit associated with them are designed for Colorbond fences. It sounds like you have a masonry wall and have had them attached to it. You could potentially install the capping piece on your extensions but would find it difficult installing the extension posts onto a masonry wall. Without the extension posts installed I think you'll find the panels might not have the rigidity to support the capping piece. As mentioned this is a kit designed for Colourbond fences.

You might like to post some pictures of the current installation as it would assist our members in providing feedback on the options available to you.

Mitchell

Hello,

My neighbours existing colourbond fence is shockingly lower than the standard 1.8m height and is of different height from one end to the other with the lowest part just up to my chest resulting in less privacy.

Wondering if I can do fence extension using the same colourbond panel and post as the existing fence in lieu of lattice fence extensions?

Let me know thanks.

See photos attached. 

20201023_190155.jpg

20201011_111907.jpg

Hi @algenebautista,

I believe you have found @ProjectPete's step-by-step article on How to add an extension to a Colorbond fence. Within the article Pete uses 300mm Colorbond sheets instead of the lattice seen here.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell 

I have seen above and have been into bunnings.  On the videos above and photo there is a gal post extension which slide down giving the strenght in the join but cannot see them in bunnings they just have the post extension which does not match instructions and would appear to be a weak joint?  Are the gal extension brackets still available.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @David001. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on Colorbond extensions.

Was it these updated Colorbond extension posts that you had seen in-store? If so, they slip over the existing posts and are screwed into place. I can't imagine they would be any less secure than the one pictured above, as they are a solid piece of metal versus the joined gal bracket version.

If you were after the gal bracket version, you might like to speak with a helpful team member at your local store's Special Orders desk. They'll be able to check with suppliers in your area to see what is available.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc

I would like to contact @ProjectPete to find out where he got the Plate Extensions from that features In is "How to add an extension to a Colorbond 

fence". They are in the shape of a channel and aprox 250 mm long. How do I contact @ProjectPete?

Thanks 

Peter

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects