Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Automatic chicken coop door opener

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Automatic chicken coop door opener

G'day fellow workshoppers,

Finally got around to designing, building and installing the new auto door for our girls.  I was quiet shocked at the price of purchasing a pre-built opener, but I've put together a price list and can understand why these items are expensive.  Anyhoo, I will attempt a how-to on this project.

Here are the parts required for the build that I put together.  Motor, photocell, double pole double throw relay, timer, transformer, micro/limit switches and an enclosure to put it all in. (The black transformer may be used as an alternative).

WP_20170211_001.jpg

I had to make a shaft for the motor so as to lift and lower the door.  I decided to use a bolt with a hole drilled in the end to suit the shaft.  A couple of very large washers and nuts and a smaller bolt tapped to lock onto the shaft as a key.

WP_20170211_002.jpg

Time to put it all together.  Wiring is via the diagram attached below.  I also decided to install some LED marker lights I had as surplus to come on just prior to dusk and turn off after a couple of hours (photo upside down for some reason).  I did a test run at this stage to ensure it worked.

WP_20170211_004.jpg

The following is after installing on the coop.  The little pulleys allow the door to open/close without binding.

WP_20170211_005.jpg

The rope is just plain 'gunline' and is not prone to rotting.  I will probably replace this with something more permanent in the future.

WP_20170211_006.jpg

Last but not least is the placement of the micro/limit switches which shuts down the motor when either in the raised or lowered position.  In this case I used a long bolt and positioned the switches to allow activation.

WP_20170211_008.jpg

Here is the wiring diagram.  It may look a bit intimidating but it is foolproof.  

Chicken Auto Door.pdf

If anyone wants a PDF version, just let me know.  Also if you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

Nearly forgot the price list.

24v DC motor with 48RPM reduction gearbox - $10.80 (ebay)

Photocell - $3.26 (ebay)

Relay - $4.70 (wholesaler)

Timer - Free but can purchase for under $20.00

Transformer - Free but approx $20-30 on ebay

2 x Limit switches - $12.00 (wholesaler)

Enclosure - $32.00 (wholesaler) but can get much cheaper without clear lid.

Cable, connectors and misc stuff - Approx $5-6

Labour not considered (approx 4 hours to put together, test and install).

Considering a pre-made purchased unit costs upwards of $250.00 - $400.00, I think I made the right decision making it myself.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

Re: Automatic chicken coop door opener

@darylhewston 

So How is it holding up? Any wear on the rope?

Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

You ask way back in August 2019 if this can operate from a cell phone. Well I hope you found out how to do it. But if you did not and are still looking or for anyone else, here is a very simple way to do that with the use of either a SONOFF or MHCOZY 4CH Smart switches.

It can be as simple as switch and Linear Actuator.

WAGO.png

OR add a light for door closed or open indication.

WAGO wIndicator Light x2.png

OR add a SONOFF DW2 Wi-Fi Wireless Door Window Sensor, to let you know if the door is down, if you are not at home to visually check. Combined with a SONOFF B05-BL-A19 Wi-Fi Smart RGB Bulb, you can make it so a lamp inside the house turns red, letting you know the door did not go down.

WAGO wIndicator Light wDoor Sensor.png

Thanks for updating with the above operation, @Mouthpear. I trust any of our members looking for cellphone operation will appreciate your input.

A note for our other readers: Although the wiring diagram depicts a low-voltage, if anyone has concerns, I'd encourage you to enlist the services of a qualified electrician.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mouthpear
Cultivating a Following

@Old-gal24 

I thought I had you "tagged" to my last reply/comment. It was, primarily, meant for you. 

Not sure why you would tag me for this reply @Mouthpear  BUT OMG, what an amazing invention and all of this information associated with it.. Way way beyond this old gal..

@Mouthpear  Not sure why I commented on this article, Or asked could it be mobile phone operated *(Old~Timers moment no doubt) but WOW, there are certainly some cluey folks on this site. 

Awesome work.  I'm flat out using apps on my mobile let alone creating something so tech savy it's blown me away..

Oldgal-24

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects