Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built an arbour

Shay
Building a Reputation

Built an arbour

20201203_200039.jpgDecided to try giving an arbor a crack in a bid to build a more enjoyable outdoor entertainment area.

At first i was going to get a metal gazebo built,  but wife convinced me that an arbor would be better..

Started with a bunch of green cut jarrah from Austim, and then proceeded to clean it all up using mostly Makita tooling purchased at my local Ellenbrook Bunnings. Once wood was preped, Aquadeck (jarrah) decking oil was applied before some help from my friendly neighbours assisted me in lifting the beams into place.

This is easily the biggest home handyman project I've ever attempted and am stoked at the results. The wires were added today and paving cleaned up as well. Looks brilliant and the jarrah decking oil has grown on me after early reservations. Just need to convince the with to build a deck to really set this area alive!!

All tools and finishes were purchased from my local Ellenbrook store, which I'm glad to say had everything I needed straight away enabling me to complete this project within 4 days. Just need the grapes to grow now! 

Cheers,

Shay

20201105_152440.jpg

The green timber from Austim (jarrah).

20201122_094243.jpg

Planed and sanded cuts.

20201201_155646.jpg

Aquadeck jarrah decking oil applied (after Cabot's timber prep) and slot notches jigsawed and chiselled out. 

20201130_133854.jpg

Main support posts cemented in. 

20201201_110329.jpg

Horizontal supports beams erected,  with house side beams dyna-bolted into brickwork (tip - pre-drill and measure prior to inserting so you don't have to physically hold heavy jarrah beams in place whilst drilling pilot holes etc..).

20201201_181339.jpg

Last of the cross-beams going up with help from neighbours (thanks boys!)

20201203_185006.jpg

Installed some festoon lights as well to give it an special effect at night

20201203_200039.jpg

95% complete with just the wires to add and a final tidy up with the paving. 

Will add final photos once compete.

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Built an arbor

Top job mate looks fantastic! (and they say happy wife happy life so good choice I reckon hahahah)

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

Nice. Of course here in New Zealand we’d have to put something on the top to keep the rain off.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Fabulous!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

What a great job! Looks good and suits the space very well. Pat yourself on the back for that one.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations @Shay. What a fantastic result. You should be really proud of what you have done. You can see you are already getting plenty of admiration from the Bunnings Workshop community. We have now included your handiwork on our Project Gallery so that more members can get inspiration. Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next!

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're thrilled to have you join us and are really looking forward reading about what's next for around the house or garden.

Please post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

awesome ! 

Farside
Growing in Experience

@Shay 

nice looking job. What size timbers did you use for the posts, beams and rafters?

pepsp
Having an Impact

Wow @Shay awesome job. Really lifts the area!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

You planning your own project @Farside? If so, if you'd like to hit the Start a discussion button and provide as much detail as possible, I'm sure the ever-helpful @MitchellMc will be able to assist when he is back from leave at the end of the week. Other members would also be happy to help.

I've also tagged @Shay for you so he is alerted to your question about what timber he used in this popular project. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects