Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built an arbour

Shay
Building a Reputation

Built an arbour

20201203_200039.jpgDecided to try giving an arbor a crack in a bid to build a more enjoyable outdoor entertainment area.

At first i was going to get a metal gazebo built,  but wife convinced me that an arbor would be better..

Started with a bunch of green cut jarrah from Austim, and then proceeded to clean it all up using mostly Makita tooling purchased at my local Ellenbrook Bunnings. Once wood was preped, Aquadeck (jarrah) decking oil was applied before some help from my friendly neighbours assisted me in lifting the beams into place.

This is easily the biggest home handyman project I've ever attempted and am stoked at the results. The wires were added today and paving cleaned up as well. Looks brilliant and the jarrah decking oil has grown on me after early reservations. Just need to convince the with to build a deck to really set this area alive!!

All tools and finishes were purchased from my local Ellenbrook store, which I'm glad to say had everything I needed straight away enabling me to complete this project within 4 days. Just need the grapes to grow now! 

Cheers,

Shay

20201105_152440.jpg

The green timber from Austim (jarrah).

20201122_094243.jpg

Planed and sanded cuts.

20201201_155646.jpg

Aquadeck jarrah decking oil applied (after Cabot's timber prep) and slot notches jigsawed and chiselled out. 

20201130_133854.jpg

Main support posts cemented in. 

20201201_110329.jpg

Horizontal supports beams erected,  with house side beams dyna-bolted into brickwork (tip - pre-drill and measure prior to inserting so you don't have to physically hold heavy jarrah beams in place whilst drilling pilot holes etc..).

20201201_181339.jpg

Last of the cross-beams going up with help from neighbours (thanks boys!)

20201203_185006.jpg

Installed some festoon lights as well to give it an special effect at night

20201203_200039.jpg

95% complete with just the wires to add and a final tidy up with the paving. 

Will add final photos once compete.

Shay
Building a Reputation

Re: Built an arbor

@Farside @Jason The main support vertical beams are  square 130x130mm, cemented in approx 800mm below the pavers, with approx 2400mm above ground.  The horizontal beams bolted into the side of the house and the rafters are the same size - 200mm x 50mm. The rafters are 3200mm long, the horizontal beams roughly 3500mm long each (there's 2). All the timber was pre-cut when it was ordered through Austim in Wangara. 

Farside
Growing in Experience

Re: Built an arbor

thanks Shay. I will be bolting my posts to an existing slab. My project will be similar size but not in jarrah. Ledger board will be 3360mm long, rafters about 3600mm and beams around 4200 but have been undecided on timber widths and height.

Shay
Building a Reputation

Re: Built an arbour

20230503_191431.jpg

20230503_191424.jpg

20221103_170722.jpg

Just thought I'd post a few update pics now that the grapes have reached the top of the arbor and we recieved out first crop last summer. 100% recommend an arbor if you want the sunlight through in the winter with nice shade (and juicy grapes) in the summer. It takes a while to get the full results, but definitely worth it. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Shay,

Your gorgeous grape canopy over your arbor is awesome! Your patience and hard work have really paid off. I believe you also built some planter boxes around your posts, what have you planted in those? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shay
Building a Reputation

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the message. 

Yes, we built planter boxes around two of the three supports on the arbor. The centre one has two grapes in them - one red and one white table variety. The box on the end has a couple of pink frangipanis in it. The frangipani is great as it provides nice morning shade, with the nice bonus of the pretty flowers :smile:

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Sounds dreamy @Shay!

You'll need to send us a spring/summer time photo when everything is in full bloom. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects