Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chicken nesting box

Kirsten4
Finding My Feet

Chicken nesting box

1125DA48-CFEC-4EDE-AB8E-69FA0788F495.jpeg

49B831EE-93E8-4408-8277-7467DC8DF718.jpeg

6CB6E153-52C3-41CA-AD78-006A20460361.jpeg

I used 100mm wide pine and 75mm wide pine slats to build this. 
4 x 100mm for the base, with the 75mm cut to length for joining the 100mm pieces. 
I kept the dividers and lift off lid shorter to allow air flow around/behind the Flexi tubs. I made a lift off lid to easily put in and remove the Flexi tubs for cleaning, but a snug fit to hold them in place. 
the lid is basically a narrower version of the base. 
this was my first time building something so I’m very happy with the result. 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Re: Chicken nest box

@Kirsten4 Welcome to the workshop community. We are glad to have you on board. 
First time building?? Wow you definitely have a lot of skills. I love the chicken nest box you’ve created and a great idea using the Flexi tubs. 
I hope your girls are loving it as much as we are. 
Best of luck with your entry and we look forward to seeing more of your work! 

Sandy 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Chicken nest box

Good morning @Kirsten4 

Very clever use of the flexi-tubs! 👍

Are the chickens happy with them?

I hope they appreciate your hard work. 😁

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Chicken nesting box

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kirsten4. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your great project.

What an incredible first project! I still fondly remember the first time I tried to build something. I tried screwing two pieces of timber together, and after 30mins of struggling, I succumbed to the fact that woodwork probably isn't for me. The fact that you've been able to build this extremely functional project on your first go is sensational. Kudos to you!

I'm sure you chickens love their new nesting box, and I trust it will serve them well for many years.

Many thanks for sharing once again, and I very much look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects