Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Converted unused shed into a cubby house

cmignani
Getting Established

Converted unused shed into a cubby house

20210815_141052.jpg

We converted a rat infested unused garden shed into a beautiful cubby house/Cafe. The first job was to clean out all of the rat carcasses and give the interior a good clean. We cut out 2 windows and used perspex instead of glass. We insulated the walls with batts and lined them and ceilings with cement sheeting ensuring that all sharp edges were covered. We levelled out the ground by laying a cement floor then covered with lino and lining. All corners and gaps were filled with no more gaps. Surfaces were then painted and decorated. It's been a huge hit with both kids and adults.

20201105_111948.jpg

20210815_141110.jpg

20210815_141247.jpg

20210815_141148.jpg

20201105_112030.jpg

20201105_111953.jpg

20201105_113508.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Converted unused shed into a cubby house

Hello @cmignani

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your shed to cubby house conversion.

Thank you very much for posting those progress shots of the conversion. It's great to see that you really took the time to add a lot of detail to the cubby house. The laminated flooring, the green trim on the window, the extra shelving and of course the telescope I think nicely rounds off all the features of the conversion. I'm sure the cubby house will provide many hours of entertainment for your kids.

Again, thank you for sharing your shed to cubby house conversion.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@cmignani 

I know this is an old post, but I came across it while trying to find some idea's on making a small garden shed.  I'm wondering if you inherited this small shed you converted to a cubby house.. Or if you made it yourself.

I'm trying to get some idea/plans to build a small garden shed.

Thank you for sharing.. even if this post is close to 2 years old.

Old~gal

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Old-gal24 

Let me tag @cmignani to make sure they are aware of your query. Are you still looking for an alternate solution to getting a garden shed?  Have you thought about getting a Keter 1.32 x 0.72 x 1.14m Black Store Prime Plastic Garden Shed? It has two doors, UV stable and can be relatively easy to put together. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@EricL 

I have to admit, I am a little lost with what I had planned.

I'm planning on making a 3x3mt timber frame shed, exterior clad with Iron corrugated sheets, -  garden shed.

1). I have this area in the back yard of a home I have purchased. *(I am getting a bit stressed over it as we don't have any storage there & I have loads of garden products/tools.

2). I always used to run things by my pop, but he passed away. So what was planned was mostly in his head, shared with me.. 

3). My biggest struggle was getting building materials as our local Bunnings store has very limited stock, due to major renovations.

4). Jacob has been great in helping me with this issue, lack of building supplies, but it's taking so long to get anything, ordered/located/availability. 

5). I'm now doubting what I had been planning.

6). It has to be build on a timber floor as the only spot it can really go on is very uneven. the floor will sit on concrete blocks. *(I've made 8 concrete pads for it to sit on & levelled in readiness. Every chance I get I look through all the posts on this site, in the hope that I find something similar to what I an hoping to create. *(even the cubby house plans) but no luck.  If I have missed where someone has shared there timber/corro garden shed build, I would love to see what they have created.  ANYTHING!

7). It also have three windows I planned to install for added light. One will go in the front, left of the door & another one in the right hand side wall (facing me) the last one is a block of 6 glass bricks that have been framed, that I have. (that will be in the back wall of shed, facing the neighbours, to get some of the morning sun into the shed).

It's been over 2 months of chasing and I've now lost confidence in what I had planned to do and lost on where to start. I've drawn up some rough plans, in pencil. *(I'd planned to show you but they are too faint to make out in a picture. - I will have to go over them in black pen, to make them more visible).

I have a zillion things I have to do, but keep coming back to the lack of garden shed.  I don't like the pre-fab ones.  And they are pricey, PLUS I was really hoping to make it rustic/country looking.  A bit like a timber cottage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Old Gal

Hi @Old-gal24,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling lost with your shed project. Building a large shed from the ground up is indeed a significant, multistage project that requires advanced DIY skills. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

I've put together a rendering to help you visualise the construction process and give you a clearer picture of what your shed might look like. I hope this helps.

I understand how important it is to have storage space for your garden tools and products, and the frustration that comes with delays and setbacks. If you could go over your plans, I’d be happy to offer more specific advice. I'm not sure whether it will help, but please take a look at @mikebarker's project: How to build a wooden shed? You'll see that there are ten pages of discussion purely on the design stages, but they have begun to make progress with the base and frame.

In the meantime, know that your project is progressing, even if it feels slow. Every step you take brings you closer to your goal. Keep pushing forward, and don't hesitate to ask for help or advice whenever you need it. You're doing a fantastic job.

Mitchell

hi

sorry for the late reply. I was having trouble logging onto the bunnings workshop chat page.

The shed was already on the property when i bought it, so i am afraid i can't help with its construction.

I am sure that the bunnings staff will help you with your questions.

Good luck with your project

Many thanks @cmignani 

Appreciate your reply anyway, I loved your outcome.. @MitchellMc  has WOWed me again with his amazing ideas/support.

Cheers

Old-gal

Hello again Mitchell

Thank you so very much this is exactly what I'd planned on building except the lower part of the skillion would be at the back as it's in the corner of my back yard and side fence. And a bit of over hang at the front to protect the door, front and window. I have toyed with adding a length of guttering along the back to take the water into a small rainwater tank I have on hand.  **You understood my brief exactly.  *(I love a man who listens to us women, more so us older ones).

I've been struggling to get timber here let alone screws at my local store as I mentioned, due to massive store make over, and not keeping much in stock.

Would you mind giving me suggestions on the right timber sizes required for each step? eg. Floor, Roof, Walls. etc.  I wrote out a list and half the products weren't available. So I keep having to rethink my list.

I have marked out for the base frame 3 x 3mt floor with concrete blocks, 8 pads in all as support. 3 back and front, one in the middle each side.  I had plan to use 140 x 45mm x 3mt H3 but struggled with availability here, so thought 90 x 45 x 3mt H3, *(possibly joining two do make it double e.g 180 x 45) for the box frame/ floor, but wasn't 100% sure it would be deep enough. The floor I'd planned to sit on the concrete blocks, around the exterior as It could be difficult to put one in the centre, but have thought of possibly having two supports along the centre using the TuffBlocks for support as  can't really think of anything else I could use in the middle as there is a pit underneath, hence me building over the top of it.  I had also planned to put some sort of trap door in the floor in case I ever have to access it. *(not that I can see anything coming up)  The pit is a total waste of space in my yard.  It's in the corner of the yard, filled with gravel over Geotextile. which fills up with the two back neighbours leaves from their deciduous trees.  The local council permitted the original owner to run roof water from the back deck into this pit, which drains away with other water pipes located in the back neighbours yards.  Council weren't interested what I did, they said if it's under a certain size it's got nothing to do with them.  *(and basically that is what I'm doing)

So that is why I decided to utilise the area for a garden shed, as I desperately need one and there is no where big enough to be able to put one. 

I know I could have taken the easier way out and purchased a garden shed putting it on a timber floor as I have in the past.. BUT I feel this will be my last home and I've always wanted to build a rustic sort of shed myself, using up some of the items I have collected over the years.  e.g two old windows and the glass brick one *(can give those measurements tomorrow)  I have a dozen or so second hand colourbond sheets.  So decided to go with the skillion roof style to save on roof trusses.   I also have the windows, and a load of old palings that are in good nick, I plan to run them through my Ryobi Planer Thicknesser & use across the front & door, if I have enough.  Ensuring I use a sarking underneath the lot. I also have some thick insulation left over from my original shed build here, as it gets darn hot here in summer.

My biggest issue is what sized timber I should use for everything.  As my original plan went out the window when I could purchase most of what I had on my list here in Dubbo.   So it's made me rethink my entire build, feeling like I should start all over again, with a new shopping list of timber that I need for my build. *(as I mentioned I would always check everything like that with my pop, but he has since passed and I no longer have his amazing wisdom and knowledge or encouragement, to fall back on)*

Thank you so very much for your design, it's spot on. I was trying to do something like that on my computer but failed every time.  So went back to pen and paper.

Cheers

Old~gal

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Old-gal24 

It's great that Mitchell has provided you with a shed frame guide. This should help keep you focused in regards to how to build it. I suggest keeping the timber used to a standard size such as 90x45 for the floor and walls and 70x 45 for the roofing. But let me tag @MitchellMc just in case his design calls for more timber sizes. 

Were you referring to the DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block for your shed base? This would make excellent footing for your shed. I propose making another list and this time, I suggest simplifying the parts for the shed.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects