Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. pool fence help and rescue

sandymandy
Getting Established

D.I.Y. pool fence help and rescue

image.jpg

Hi, 

we are doing our own frameless pool fence as fencing companies quotes us $5000 for labour only.

we have couple of issues.
1.  concrete is unlevelled and we realised that after installing 4 panels. How do we resolve this to ensure everything is in straight line ?

2. The glass panel is now stuck in the spigot. Any way to release this ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: diy pool fence help and rescue

Hello @sandymandy

Thank you so much for sharing your question about your pool fence.

I'm sorry to hear that your glass panel is stuck. I suggest trying this method. The spigot has been installed at an angle causing the glass to be wedged between the two spigots. The panel is often held in with grub screws that act as a clamp to hold the glass in place. Make sure the grub screws are loose. Once you have confirmed that the grub screws are loose, lift the cover cap of the spigot and see if you can reach the mounting nuts with a shifter. Loosen the nuts to allow the spigot to align itself with the glass. This will remove the pressure from the misaligned spigots and allow you to lift the glass out. 

Professional installers have shims or rubber inserts to align the spigot if the cement base is not perfectly flat. they also use cement grinders to remove excess cement if it proves to be slightly high. 

Here is a handy link about Glass Pool Fencing.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandymandy
Getting Established

Re: diy pool fence help and rescue

Thanks Eric. Very helpfully will reach out if we need more :smile: 

blueyryan
Getting Established

Re: D.I.Y. pool fence help and rescue

You can buy small stainless steel clamps that fit horizontally between the glass panels; similarly affecting the alignment like the clamp at the top of the glass in the image you attached. Fitting these will align the tops of the panels perfectly. There are also small adjustments generally within the spigots themselves, if you tighten/loosen the top/bottom grub screw in each spigot. This should solve your issue of alignment.

If the panels are stuck, id first advise taping a towel to the panel either side of the one you're trying to remove. This will ensure you have no broken/damaged panels. Assuming you've already loosened the grub screws holding the glass tight, pry a piece of timber underneath, and slowly raise one side of the glass, then pack underneath it so the glass stays that height. Now do the same for the other side. Gradually work the panel higher and higher while someone holds the balance of the panel at the top, until the panel is free enough to be pulled out. Now you can make micro adjustments to the positioning of the spigots as needed. 

If your glass is running out of level, and you can't pack it enough underneath, you can also add a few packers under the glass between where the glass rests on the spigot. You wouldn't really want to pack higher than 5 - 10mm for this method though.

If you have any issues feel free to message me, I'm an installer myself.

Best of luck!

Great to have you share your knowledge and experience @blueyryan. I'm sure @sandymandy and other Bunnings Workshop community members really appreciate it. 

Welcome to the community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading many more of your posts soon. Please don't hesitate to join in the discussion anytime. We trust you'll also get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our other community members for your projects in return for your helpful advice.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

That’s amazing information for us. Do you know what the packers are called in Bunnings ? I am getting window spacers as search result. 

Hi @sandymandy,

Fantastic to see that you've received helpful advice. Let me tag @blueyryan so they are alerted to your question.

@EricL will also be able to assist when he's back on the site on the weekend.

Stevie

Yeah window spacers or horseshoe packers they're called. You just chop them to size as needed with some snips (be careful not to cut your finger as they can be hard to cut). These are what i'm talking about: https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-75mm-mixed-hang-window-packer-20-pack_p1041490

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sandymandy

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @blueyryan. Using the Macsim 75mm Mixed Hang Window Packer - 20 Pack is a great way to even out your spigot installation. I recommend using Rocket Medium Sanding Sponge if you need to sand down the shims to get a very precise fit. Have you managed to remove your stuck glass panel? Are you making progress with your installation? Any updates about your project would be much appreciated. 

If you need further assistance with your project, please let us know.

Eric 

sandymandy
Getting Established

Hi Eric, thanks for following up. 

Due to my husbands health, we are looking at doing it next week. I will keep this thread updated on how I go. 
Could I please ask how do I cut the packers? Hack saw or do I need a machine ? Sorry for my ignorance. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects