Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY bin storage plans

Handywoman
Just Starting Out

DIY bin storage plans

Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of the instructions to build the DIY bin storage unit. I've searched and cannot fine one to equal Better Homes & Gardens one from 3/8/2012 magazine.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY bin storage plans

Hi @Handywoman,

Welcome to Workshop. With a name like yours, I'm sure you will fit right in! We have loads of like-minded community members who I'm sure you will enjoy swapping advice and projects with.

Bunnings has instructions for building a D.I.Y. bin storage unit on their website. I have also attached a video below. I hope that helps, but if you let us know a little more about the design, other community members might be able to offer further advice.

Thanks again for joining us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

This one?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Handywoman,

Hope all is well. Just wondering whether the video that @Brad shared was helpful?

A D.I.Y. bin storage unit sounds like a fantastic project. Please let us know how you go with it.

Jason 

Hi Jason. Me and hubby are interested in this project. A couple of questions. On the Bunnings video there is a list of wooden panels cut to size at Bunnings. Do you know the size of the area and bins it covers? Also in the better home video they made the lid have a gas mechanism to keep it open. He mentioned to get a professional do it? Who would you get to do that?
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Let me have a think about fitting struts.

Hi @Maryam123,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great that you could join us and we look forward to seeing you complete this project. 

The full step-by-step instructions for the Bunnings version can be found here - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/outdoor/structures/how-to-make-a-diy-bin-storage-unit

You'll notice that the top features 2079mm x 9 merbau decking boards so that's the unit's width. It can house three standard-sized bins. 

I'm sure not about the "professional" mentioned by Better Homes and Gardens. Let me tag some helpful members like @Brad@royq and @ProjectPete to see if they might be able to assist. 

Jason

Not sure why they said you need a pro for fitting struts @Maryam123. Just pick up the right size of these from Bunnings and fit them - https://www.bunnings.com.au/goliath-505mm-450n-gas-strut_p4230180

With a bit of reading/planning you shouldn't find it too hard to DIY. The below formula show help you get there.

gas strut.PNG

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Just to add to what @ProjectPete said found this video that shows how to fit them, first part has been covered by Pete. 

Thank you Jason. We have four bins so that makes things complicated!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects