Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY modern outdoor lounge & dining table

Alicia_Woodwork
Building a Reputation

DIY modern outdoor lounge & dining table

Moving into our new place, I wanted to make something special that we could enjoy with our family and friends. We looked for the perfect outdoor setting for a while but were always overwhelmed by the price. This outdoor setting cost $650 all up and it is something we will use for a long time to come! 

Materials

Tools

Ryobi Drill 

AEG Drop Saw

Ryobi Cordless Belt Sander

Ryobi Disc Sander

Steps

Step 1

IMG_2257.jpeg

Start by cutting all of your leg pieces so that they are identical in length. Secure all leg pieces using 75mm 10G timber screws and external wood glue. Repeat the same process for the bench seat and back supports for each piece of the modular setting. 

Step 2

IMG_2268.jpeg

This project came together perfectly with everything cut to size and labelled prior to the build. Make sure to use some clamps to assist in ensuring you are able to secure each joint so that it remains aligned.

Step 3

IMG_2308.jpeg

After constructing the frame, patch any screw holes and fix imperfections in the wood (only if you are wanting a perfect finish).

Step 4

IMG_2341.jpeg

Sand all pieces thoroughly, using a fine sanding paper to achieve a smooth finish. You can then begin painting. I used a British paints outdoor paint which came up perfectly! Tape around the table top if you are after a wood finish so that you can keep the paint lines neat.

Step 5

IMG_2344.jpeg

Put the final coat of paint on. As this is an outdoor furniture piece, I worked hard to ensure all cracks and joints were sealed to reduce water damage.

Step 6

IMG_2551.jpeg

if you’re looking for that finished wood look, some clear spray varnish leaves a wonderful coat on the wood without affecting its texture or colour.

Step 7

IMG_2642.jpeg

Add you cushions. For this, I bought the pieces of foam and custom ordered some covers online. 

Step 8

IMG_2655.jpeg

Dress and decorate. She’s now summer ready!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: DIY Modern Outdoor Lounge & Dining Table

Hi @Alicia_Woodwork 

Great  job  Looks  very comfy and better than some of the high priced  stuff.  :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Another sensational project @Alicia_Woodwork!

I love the design you've gone with, and the level of finish is exceptional. It shows how much time and effort you've put into this project, and the results really speak for themselves.

Many thanks for sharing, and we can't wait to see what project you tackle next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much for your kind words 😊

Thank you again Mitchell! I will be uploading some more projects very soon 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects