Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i build a enclosed box trailer?

bails_Mowing
Just Starting Out

How do i build a enclosed box trailer?

i building a smallish enclosed somthing like thissomthing like thisbox trailer i need to know what should i use to build it please tell me if you know.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i build a enclosed box trailer

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bails_Mowing. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I would advise creating a design and plan for what you want to build. You can then start listing out materials and checking their suitability.

Unless you are wanting to do a ground-up build of the trailer then I would suggest starting with a box trailer. You might like to check out second-hand options or purchase something new.  We have a fantastic range of trailers you could base your build off.

You'll need to build an internal steel frame out of boxed tubing to create the enclosed area. Do you have any welding experience or know someone that could assist you? There are quite a few entree level welders to get you started. Galvanised sheet can then be pop-riveted to your frame to enclose it.

It would be a good idea to do some investigation as to whether building something like this would require an engineering certificate in your state. If so there might be requirements on the type and thickness of steel you need to use and how it affixes to the trailer.

Let me mention some members with experience in welding @Brad and @Jimi to see if they could contribute to the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If your in QLD and DIY you fill in a form to get a VIN number and then a couple more to get the VIN plate and rego.

I know at one point you could buy kits in South Australia, I am not sure if companies still offer them.

I do know here they offer a flat top with rego and papers that you can then make your own top to suit yourself and that saves a lot of hassle sorting out the base unit and it is how I would start building.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Googling, I see where that boxed trailer illustrated above is $6,400.

https://trailersdownunder.com.au/product/7x6-heavy-duty-single-axle-fully-enclosed-van-trailer-for-s...

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Pure thread drift, but I wanted to "box" my trailer 20 years ago. Nostalgia and sentiment, I did not want to structurally change the trailer.

So I welded up a frame that sat/slid into the trailer.

That frame then became a canvas for various gig/rigs and sheet metal to box it in.

Best part is, like Batman, I can ditch the box in minutes and speed away with a clean trailer.

20201124_102830.jpg

bails_Mowing
Just Starting Out

is is it possible to build a cab from scratch a in bundaberg law and regulation

is is it possible to build a cab from scratch a in bundaberg law and regulation

Re: is is it possible to build a cab from scratch a in bundaberg law and regulation

Hi @bails_Mowing,

If you have a google search you'll find plenty of information on building your own trailer and registering it in QLD. Here's the National Code of Practice for building small trailers which I trust you'll find helpful.

Mitchell

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: is is it possible to build a cab from scratch a in bundaberg law and regulation

the link is not working

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @r23on

Try this link National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP) - Australian Govern.... I will have to double-check with @MitchellMc if this is the correct link he was referring to. As soon as I have more information, I will get back to you.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@r23on,

It was this Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1 document. It specifies the design and testing requirements for importers. All homemade trailers must adhere at minimum to these requirements and then be certified locally. Registration requirements differ slightly across states, and I'd recommend you inquire with the relevant authority about the construction of light trailers in your area before commencing any project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects