Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to DIY pool pump cover?

kflynn89
Getting Established

How to DIY pool pump cover?

68B6239B-A50B-446C-832E-844B0953E0B3.jpeg

Hello! 

I am looking to put some protection around my pool pump. So that the equipment can be accessed, I am thinking to only have two sides on it and then a roof that can be opened. 

What would be the best material to build this from? 

I’ve attached a photo of said pool equipment (with its current very flimsy cover). It’s right up against a brick wall so the cover could be attached to the brick. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to DIY pool pump cover?

Hi @kflynn89,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us.

This is a common problem and we'd be happy to help. Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @MitchellMc to ask him to assist.

In the meantime you might like to read this previous discussion - How to make a wooden pool pump cover? by @lbell. Tools and materials were discussed on how to build a custom pool pump cover that might also suit your needs.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kflynn89,

I'm a massive fan of the Specrite slatted and fence panels. They would make an excellent choice of material to use as they are rigid and quite good value. They would also complement the slatted screen behind the pump. With a couple of posts concreted into the ground at the front, you'd have something to build off, and you can use the wall as the rear mounting point.

Let me know what you think of the panels, and if you're happy with using those, I can come up with a method for constructing the walls and roof.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc, I like the look of the fence panels as they’ll match the panelling on the bbq area above the pool pump. However, I don’t think the dimensions work. I’ve taken measurements and my fencing (noting I only want to fence 2 of 3 sides) would need one panel that is 1m wide x at least 90cm tall and another panel that is 80cm wide x at least 90cm tall. Can I do the fence panels myself rather than buying pre built? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can certainly make the panels yourself @kflynn89. You can use Merbau decking or screening. It's just if you were to be able to use those panels, it would save a whole heap of work. Perhaps you could use them in combination with some custom work?

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc! The screening looks like a good alternative, I’m happy to put in the work for something that’s going to last a long time! What material would you recommend for the roof? Ideally I’d like to attach the roof to the brick work behind the pump

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Did you want the roof to be weatherproof @kflynn89? If not, I recommend once again the Specrite slatted panel. Turned sideways and cut down to fit the depth, it would be perfect for attaching to the wall with hinges. Alternatively, you could create a frame out of H3 treated Pine and affix the roof sheeting of your choice.

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @kflynn89 

Just a Sunday morning suggestion. I love mini-corrugated iron. I used it with wood from pallets to create a sort of window awning. It's a pre-made frame that attaches to the the wall. The iron is hinged by two bolts at the top. Maybe something similar for your pool cover?

Cheers.

20220710_093919.jpg

kflynn89
Getting Established

Thanks @Noyade, I like the idea and might use colourbond sheeting to match the colour of our fencing. 

Thanks @MitchellMc! it needs to be weatherproof so I think I’ll frame up some colourbond sheeting to match our fencing. 

For the panelling I’m thinking lattice makers and I can cut into one 1000 x 900 piece for the front panel and one 800 x 900 piece for the side panel. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects