Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add caulking where concrete pathing meets brick?

vas90
Getting Established

How to add caulking where concrete pathing meets brick?

Hi,

Have been looking at ways that I can limit the amount of water around the the first level of bricks in the images. 
Would it cause any issues to do a line of caulk around the pathway where the concrete meets the brick?
If so, would I need to be mindful of anything? product? Keeping away from the peephole?

Any other concerns? 

IMG20240404095321.jpgIMG20240404095328.jpgIMG20240404095343.jpgIMG20240404095346.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add caulking where concrete pathing meets brick?

Apologies for the slow reply @vas90. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be keen to assist as soon as possible.

Let me also tag experienced members @Nailbag and @Dave-1 to see if they might like to share how they would tackle the problem.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternnoon @vas90 

I just went for a look of what product to use that is flexible and will bond to the concrete and brickwork

Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant  is the product that was recomended.

This is the question I got the info from :smile: How to close gaps between brick wall and concrete?  I have used a black sika for my old patio and didnt think it through that one day it may not be a black patio anymore. So thats about all I would keep in mind for the colour that you choose.

I really dont think it would cause issues, it is flexible so will work when the concrete/wall contracts and expands with heat.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to caulking brick where concrete pathing meets?

Hi @vas90 

That's excellent advice coming from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend cleaning the area with water and detergent along with a stiff bristle brush to remove any loose debris. Once it is totally dry you can then seal the surface.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Re: How to caulking brick where concrete pathing meets?

Ditto @EricL and would be going with @Dave-1 solution. Simple and cost effective.

Regards, Nailbag.

vas90
Getting Established

Thanks everyone.

experimented with this on small area of the house and discovered that the colour difference was noticeable.

The only product that matches our brick colour is Selleys 440g Medium Grey No More Gaps Bricks And Mortar Gap Filler.

Any concern with using and applying this product for this purpose?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @vas90 

My only concern is that it is a rigid product and the gap you have appears to be an expansion type deal. I think it may end up fracturing and coming out in bits and pieces as the seasons change.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @vas90 

I agree with @Dave-1's assessment you are looking for a sealant that should be able to expand. Putting a solid drying seal will just break up and crumble. The Sika 300ml Grey Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant comes in three colours black, grey and white. I recommend trying the grey finish so that it will be close to the finish of your concrete walkway. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects