Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

Hi,

I am extending my deck and planning to build a long bench on top of it. The bench will weigh roughly 500kg by the time I build the frame using 90 x 45 h3 and then completing it using composite decking boards on the face. The bench will be 4.4m long. I would appreciate some guidance on the flooring frame please. The frame is roughly 6.4m x 1.2. I have supported the rims using stirrups every 1.2m. I have joined the joists to the rim by using two bugle screws (100mm) on each end. The joists are roughly 450mm apart. Is it sufficient to have joists joined using the bugle or is it better to also add joists hangers please to give the structure the strength to support 500+ kgs. The boards on the frame are temporary to walk easily. Many thanks

.20211223_092428.jpgExisting deck extensionExisting deck extension

Re: How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

Looking rock solid there @tejmankar! Sensational work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc ,

After getting the posts in, I have started install additional joists. I have noticed that the wall ledger is attached using 10mm dynabolts and is not exactly resting on the 190 x 45 H4 sleepers so I am packing the gap with packers. Also the sleepers are resting on dirt or screwed into a combination of metal and wooden posts at roughly 2m spans. Can you please kindly advise if I need to further reinforce the sleepers using 10mm/12mm dynabolts into the concrete/bricks at the back of it so they wont move if the soil sinks ? Please find some photos attached.

Looking forward to your guidance.

20220107_134530.jpg

20220107_134527.jpg

20220107_134514.jpg

dynabolt.jpg

Thanks,
Tej

In my opinion, you've done enough already, @tejmankar. I think if you were to do any more, the deck would be capable of parking a semi-trailer on. 😃

Placing the packers between the ledger and the retaining wall will ensure any additional load is transferred directly to the ground. However, the ledger should well and truly be capable of supporting the deck by itself.

Mitchell

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I will get on with the joists then. :smile: The current ones are not really levelled so this will be interesting. I will post some photos once the joists are in.

Regards,
Tej

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc ,

All the joists are in. Had to shave off a fair bit to get them as levelled as I could. I will still have to use packers to get the boards levelled so there is no bounce. Manged to paint the joists with oil based paint. Please find the photo attached. 

20220110_092142.jpg

Looking great, @tejmankar. You're on the home stretch now!

What type of screws are you using for the decking boards? I've just finished using Zenith 12G x 65mm Stainless Steel Self Drilling Decking Screws on my deck, and they've saved me loads of time not having to pre-drill and countersink every hole. Well worth the extra cost.

Mitchell

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the suggestion @MitchellMc  I am using the hidden brackets between boards so the screws won't be visible. I am using the futurewood composite decking boards. They have supplied 45mm black 316 stainless steel type 17 screws along with it.  In terms of packers are the window packers good enough or would you recommend the heavy duty ones please? The next step for me is to start building the bench and table frames so I can mount them on the decking frame and then find out the exact cuts I need for the composite boards. It will take me a few weeks to get these frames ready :smile: Need to draw up the detailed plans first. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you again. 

Window packers should be fine, @tejmankar.

Mitchell

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

The bench frame is almost there. Trial fitting looks ok. Please see some photos attached 

20220117_150407.jpg

20220117_150354.jpg

20220117_150347.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tejmankar

Thank you so much for the photo updates. Your bench frame looks fantastic, I'm sure it will look sensational once it's complete. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, We look forward to seeing your bench seats complete and ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects