Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

Hi,

I am extending my deck and planning to build a long bench on top of it. The bench will weigh roughly 500kg by the time I build the frame using 90 x 45 h3 and then completing it using composite decking boards on the face. The bench will be 4.4m long. I would appreciate some guidance on the flooring frame please. The frame is roughly 6.4m x 1.2. I have supported the rims using stirrups every 1.2m. I have joined the joists to the rim by using two bugle screws (100mm) on each end. The joists are roughly 450mm apart. Is it sufficient to have joists joined using the bugle or is it better to also add joists hangers please to give the structure the strength to support 500+ kgs. The boards on the frame are temporary to walk easily. Many thanks

.20211223_092428.jpgExisting deck extensionExisting deck extension

tejmankar
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Could you please advice if windows packers would take the load if I put them between the base of the bech and the joists please ? I am not sure how much load they can take. Also, is it recommended to lay weed mat or geo fabric under the bench and around to keep insects, spiders etc away? Please find some photos attached. Thanks. 

20220204_043431.jpg

20220204_050506.jpg

Re: How to attach joists to end rims for deck extension?

Window packers will be fine there, @tejmankar. If you have any concerns, you can use shims instead. The shims can have an incredible load on them within the realms of 20 tons. I suspect the window packs would also be more than adequate for your application.

Having the void within the benches closed off with some type of fabric would likely be a nice touch to prevent insects in that space.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects