Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

IronStan001
Having an Impact

How to build a low-level deck?

I have an alfresco area which I'd like to deck.  The joists (Green lines) will most probably fix straight into the concrete and ideally, I'd like to go 1500mm beyond the concrete (Red line).  I have a storm water pipe (White line) about 800mm out from the concrete.  800mm out from the concrete, the ground is at its lowest point, which is about 200mm lower than the alfresco.  With regards to the footings and bearers, what are my options?

PXL_20230917_054034077~3.jpg

Re: Deck options

I just gotta bang the fascia boards in tomorrow, but otherwise, it's done.  It's come up so good. Not bad for someone whose day job is a computer nerd 😂

PXL_20240226_071602536.jpg

Mate! That looks sensational, @IronStan001! A+ all round. You must be super-impressed with that job. 

Well done, and I can't wait to see the finished results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Consider this finished.

PXL_20240227_061531860.jpg

I'll let it weather for a few weeks (so I can enjoy looking at it for a bit) before I prep and oil.

But otherwise, I'm super stoked how it turned out. Alot of planning, over thinking and probably some over engineering coupled with a heap of posts on here...I couldn't be happier with the end result.  The guidance and advice I got from these forums has been amazing.  I don't think I would have built it the way I did without the feedback and advice from here.  Thanks heaps!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Wow, that's a terrific deck, @IronStan001 - a huge congratulations! You've really done an amazing job. It's hard to tell it wasn't built by a professional with years of experience.

So glad to hear you found the advice from our community members and experts helpful. We look forward to continue assisting you in your home improvement and garden projects. Can't wait to see what project you tackle next!

Congratulations again. 

Akanksha

To weather the boards, should I give them a sprinkle with water every now and again?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @IronStan001 

That deck is just sensational! All that planning and double checking certainly paid off. I'm sure you're very happy with the results. Watering the surface in combination with some light scrubbing will help push the oil and tannins off the timber.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful decking project. 

Eric

Got it.  I'll sprinkle and scrub for at least the next 4 weeks or so then see how we go.

shauny
Building a Reputation

Your deck has come up looking amazing mate. Well done on the work.

I am soon to be kicking off something similar for myself with an insulated Patio kit going up, then a roughly 5.2x3.2m deck over a small concrete alfresco pad and then over some of the old lawn as well.

Your results here have confirmed to me I am making the right decision here to give it a go myself.

Can I ask you @IronStan001  what software did you draw all your plans up in? It came up really clear and well drawn. Another IT guy here who loves over planning things and getting out there and building them

@shauny  I use SketchUp.  I transposed my entire block and the house from plans into SketchUp.  What I have in SketchUp is mm perfect, so I know what I do in there translates to the real-world.

@EricL I just noticed this crack in one of the boards:

PXL_20240301_064040151.jpg

I know it wasn't there when I laid it and this part of the deck is undercover and never sees sunlight.  What's happened here?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IronStan001 

Perhaps it was a hidden crack in the timber and got pronounced when it was anchored to the joist. It is difficult to tell what could have caused it. I propose removing the panel and putting in some supporting pieces from the back and re-stalling it. But if you have a spare panel, the better option of course would be to replace it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects