Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a pool pump cover with storage and ventilation?

Sandra3
Just Starting Out

How to build a pool pump cover with storage and ventilation?

Hi I am looking to build a pool pump cover out of something that is low maintenance and provides ventilation for the pool heater. I would love to be able to have some storage as well, perhaps a shelf above the pump, if we go the height of the fence. I would like a slide door for easy access as hinged doors would hit the limestone wall. I am thinking we may need to remove a limestone block next to the heater and perhaps along the back fence. I was also thinking of using the same material to make a long bench seat on top of the limestone wall along the back fence. Our pool area is very plain and boring, I'd love to tie the pool cover in with some fence screening. Would love some ideas and help please.20170815_133517_1502777017502_resized.jpg20170815_133443_1502777021326_resized.jpgBefore the limestone wall.Before the limestone wall.

pool 1 (2).jpgpool 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a pool pump cover with room for storage and ventilation for the heater.

Hello @Sandra3

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a pool pump cover with storage.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build wooden pool pump cover and cabinet to match by @baltoi79. I believe one of the most important aspects of your pump cover is accessibility. The person maintaining the pump must be able to get to all the parts of the pump. 

If the pump cover prevents you from servicing a critical part of your pump, the entire assembly will have to be removed. So please keep this in mind when designing and planning how your pump cover will behave. If you're planning to put shelves inside the pump cover, these must be removable as well. 

If for example, you're using SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panels. These panels can also be mounted on your Colorbond fence giving your area a totally different look. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a pool pump cover with storage and ventilation?

Hello @Sandra3 

Here is an example of what your pool pump cover might look like. I've enclosed the entire set in the cover as having a cover behind your heating unit is not advisable. I've also left the front fan intake of the heating pump open so that it does not impede its performance. The top shelves are movable so that you can access any part of the pool pump. I know you were keen on sliding doors but this would have gotten in the way when servicing the pump, it's vital that all components are accessible for repair.

I suggest having a look at - 10 screening ideas for outdoor areas. This should give you some ideas on how to jazz up your fence line. I also recommend looking at - Recycled decking timber outdoor sofa by @Stuardo. There's nothing more relaxing than having somewhere to sit down and relax near the pool. Please note that the measurements indicated are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Sandra3 pool pump cover1.jpgSandra3 pool pump cover2.jpgSandra3 pool pump cover3.jpgSandra3 pool pump cover4.jpgSandra3 pool pump cover5.jpg

Sandra3
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric, that looks great. I love the idea of having multiple doors.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sandra3

I'm glad I could assist you with this project. If you decide to proceed with the pool pump cover, any photo updates you can provide of the build would be highly appreciated. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects