Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a small retaining wall?

Taylorpwa
Growing in Experience

How to build a small retaining wall?

Hi Everyone

Excuse the mess I am half way through the backyard Reno 

I am wanting to Level out the dirt area (soon to be grass) I was going to put a retaining/edge while maintaining the slope of the bricks

All the videos I have found are based around it being on a level surface on both sides

I have put the decking wood as a guide to what I want it to eventually be at

Would I need to concrete posts in? Or for such a small wall could I get away with stakes and sleepers? 

Thanks 

1000001392.jpg

1000001390.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build a small retaining wall?

Afternoon @Taylorpwa 

Stakes and sleepers would be be for the height for sure, The only concern is the bit near your garage but I can see a dish drain grill so there should be no problems with water runoff. You could also go with a small gabion styled wall which would solve any drainage ect (Yeah I like these type of retaining walls :smile: ) As the water drains through them easily.

You could have 3 or 4 along the edge you want raised and fill them with the stones you like, I used broken concrete  pathway and they cam up looking nice. Jack 65 x 30 x 15cm Landscaper's Plant Support Garden Gabion These are the smaller cages and there are larger ones if you want to use them elsewhere.

Here is where I used some gabion baskets in a similar situation that I had built myself, I have used the pre-made ones and they are very easy to use and could have been used here. Gabion wall bench seats  I put old timber hardwood as the seat top and they came up really nice. You dont need to put a top but its an option.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects