Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden esky?

Joshua69
Just Starting Out

How to build a wooden esky?

Hello,

For a school project I'm going to be making a wooden Esky casing but have decided to make It a proper one so I was wondering what I could use to make the same insulation as an Esky and If anyone had a laser engraver that I could use to engrave brands onto the sides and lid of the wood? Please let  me know. 

Thank you, 

Joshua Winspear

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Esky

Hi @Joshua69,

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and look forward to seeing you put together your Esky and reading about all your other projects. Great to see you are able to do woodworking at school! We have lots of keen woodworkers in the community so I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Do you have a plan or sketch of what you want to do? It would help members get a better idea of your plans and how they might be able to assist. 

You might also be interested in these projects previously shared by Bunnings Workshop members:

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Esky

Hi @Joshua69,

An Esky cooler has a foam core that is covered by external plastic skins. You could use Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board as this foam layer, though you would then need to line it internally. Much like the projects @Jason has provided above, I would suggest staying with your original idea of creating a casing, except permanently clad the timber onto the Esky. Something like the Outermark 60L Premium Ice Box Cooler Wheels would be perfect as it has a relatively flat top and sidewalls. The plastic used on the premium coolers is also quite thick, which should allow you to screw your timber directly into it. Just be careful to choose a screw short enough that it doesn't penetrate through to the inside.

Perhaps you could consider carving the brand logos into the sides and lid instead of engraving them with a laser?

I'd also be interested in seeing some sketches of your idea. I look forward to providing further assistance and seeing you put this project together.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects