Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert grass to stone path?

newbiegardener
Getting Established

How to convert grass to stone path?

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well. 

I am currently in the planning stages of converting this small patch of grass to something nicer. 

1.png

I have put together my current plan below, with 2 small gardens and a main stone path with pebbles all around.

2.png

My main questions are: 

1. Once I remove the grass, what would be the best material to use to level and raise the area? As currently it slopes down a lot and as you can see, the house foundation is exposed more toward the back which I'd like to cover up. I'm still planning on having it sloping away from the house, I just want to raise it a little bit so it's not as noticeable. 

2. With the garden plan against the house, is there a material I can use to protect the foundation and house from the dirt and moisture? 

Other than that, I am confident at doing the rest, it's mainly these things I am worried about. 

Many thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert grass to stone path?

Hi @newbiegardener,

I'd recommend filling the areas that won't be garden beds with roadbase. It's easily compactible and will make a perfect foundation for your pathway. For the areas designated to be garden beds, I'd recommend you install garden edging and fill those with quality soil.

The house's foundation has its own isolation barriers to prevent moisture from entering the home. However, since you're having a garden bed up against it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to paint the exposed foundation with a brushable waterproofer and back-fill it so it's hidden.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects