Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix or replace back cover for letterbox?

faisal-s
Growing in Experience

How to fix or replace back cover for letterbox?

20220514_115858.jpg

I have moved into a house and found this letterbox cover missing all my mails are either getting wet or torn into pieces by snails living inside. I have managed to unscrew the back cover and found one side on top right is broken can anyone give me tips to put a new cover with lock if possible?

faisal-s
Growing in Experience

Re: fix or replace back cover for letterbox/mailbox

20220514_115855.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @faisal-s. It's lovely to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about repairing your letterbox.

My first thought is that the easiest solution would be to replace the letterbox. We have other slightly more budget-friendly options too. 

There are no back panels sold separately for direct replacement. So, if you wanted to replace the door, you'd need to try using a door off another letterbox. For example, we have the Sandleford 160 x 235mm Aluminium Brick-In Letterbox Set, and you could potentially use the back door off that. You'd need to adhere it to your current mailbox with something like Sikaflex 11FC.

What part of the current door is broken? Is it just the damage on the right of the opening that is causing the issue? Would you be able to glue the back door onto the letterbox? If you can provide some images of the door, our members might be able to offer other solutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
faisal-s
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thats the back plate ONLY. The cover is missing. I took the plate out and measured it its almost 24cm wide and 16cm long. Im happy to buy the whole set if i can only use the back plate. Please let me know if i can provide you with any further details 🙏 

20220514_142219.jpg

faisal-s
Growing in Experience

Also i just noticed the

Sandleford 160 x 235mm Aluminium Brick-In Letterbox Set you suggested has almost the same dimensions as the one i have currently that actually might fit perfectly ✌️looks like im heading to my nearest store 😀 will update you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@faisal-s,

The brick-in letterbox won't have the same connection fixings as the plate you've removed. You'll need to glue it on. A thick bead of the Sika product with do quite a reasonable job of holding it on. Once it's glued in place I don't think you'd be able to pull it off at all. The 11FC is a very tough product.

Let us know how you go.

Mitchell

faisal-s
Growing in Experience

Hi mitchell,

So i tried gluing it on directly but because of the weight of the cover it kept falling off after a while. Below is the selleys liquid nail i bought which i was told is more adhesive then the one you mentioned 11fc, i will have to somehow glue bolts inside first once they are holding the cover it will give better hold to the liquid nail. But to instantly hold metal bolts to metal surface i bought gorilla clear grip its still not dry but to show you what I'm upto see pics below 

20220516_171149.jpg

20220516_171254.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this adhesive is on the old cover?

20220516_171158.jpg

20220516_171231.jpg

faisal-s
Growing in Experience

20220516_171247.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @faisal-s

I can't identify the original glue that was used on your mailbox door, but I suggest using Selleys Liquid Nails Instant Hold. It has a horizontal weight rating of 5kg on metal to metal adhesion. Please note that you must let the adhesive cure for at least 48 hours before you use it. If the weather is too humid or it is raining please add one extra day so that the glue will cure to full strength.

If you use it too early the glue will fail and you'll have to do it all over again. I recommend being generous with the amount of glue you will be putting on to make sure it covers the head of the bolt. 

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear @Noyade and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Sorry, I'm not grasping the problem.

That frame above is stainless steel or aluminium?

One attachment bolt is missing?

The rest are spot welded?

But you have all the other hardware - door and lock?

Glue wise I found this to be the best...

20220517_111143.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects