Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a Matrix fence extension to Colorbond fence?

romeo
Finding My Feet

How to install a Matrix fence extension to Colorbond fence?

I am planing to install 2x Matrix 2410 x 600mm Charcoal Tropical Fence Extension on our Colorbond fence for privacy reasons, using the extension legs on both ends attached on the fence posts.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-2410-x-600mm-charcoal-tropical-fence-extension_p0172410

https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-20-x-20-x-1000mm-charcoal-fence-extension-leg_p0029263

https://www.bunnings.com.au/buildex-12-14-x-35mm-climaseal-hex-head-with-seal-cladding-tek-screws-50...

The idea is to have the extension legs faced on my side so that the matrix panel sits on the of the fence for additional support. However when I went instore to see these panels myself, it felt too heavy just to be screwed on both ends and afraid that it might just bend. Should I be confident that the legs will be enough to support the panel? There are posts about using timber but using just the legs gives a cleaner look, i think. I'd also rather not add a 3rd leg to support the middle. Where would the 3rd leg be screwed btw? On the top railing of the fence? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a Matrix fence extension to Colorbond fence?

Hello @romeo 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a Matrix fence extension.

I suggest having a quick look at these discussions - Matrix fence extension installation query by @mturnbull and How to attach Matrix fence extension to Colorbond fence? by @andy89. You'll see an excellent guide on how the Matrix fence extension is installed. If you are attaching the extension to a Colorbond fence, it's important that the extension posts be lined up with the fence posts.

The Matrix panel is not that heavy and when supported by the steel rails and extension post it will be strong enough to stand on its own. In regards to the third supporting post, if you're not keen on putting one in, it is possible to screw the panel directly onto the Colorbond fence's top rail. But should it become necessary to have a third post it will need to be screwed onto the top rail of the fence.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
romeo
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the links of the previous discussions. Can you advise what can be used to screw the panel directly onto the colorbond fence top rail? Does that mean the included frame kit will not be used anymore?

Thanks and regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @romeo 

Your original choice of Buildex 12-14 x 35mm Climaseal Hex Head With Seal Cladding Tek Screws - 50 Pack will work very well with the Matrix set. However, please make sure to double check the length to make sure that it does not go past the thickness of the Colorbond post. 

The frame kit must be used when installing the Matrix extension, it's what gives it rigidity and prevents it from flopping over. I suggest testing one set to give you a good idea of where it needs to be mounted and the spacing support that will be involved once the panel is in place.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

romeo
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

I think I understand what you mean now. I was planning to place the panel sitting on top of the fence railing but with your suggestion to screw it direclty on the fence, that means the panel needs to be placed beside the top railing.

I've uploaded a photo to the fence I'm planning to attach it to. My problem is there is an extra 610mm fence on the right which will not be covered. I can probably use 3x1800 panels but that means a panel will only be attached to one leg. Would that be recommended?

Thanks and regards

369503069_800197391863867_8717664705887575343_n.jpg

387649596_284639567715419_2589160250919310375_n.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @romeo 

I suggest thinking about other mounting possibilities for the right-hand side of the fence. Would it be possible to anchor the extension post to the taller fence post on the right so that the panel will be secure. Can the panel be installed off centre so that it will still be supported by two posts? You'll see in the installation video that there is an offset installation technique so that the panels are supporting one another even if the extension posts are not centred to the installation.

My other suggestion is to use angle brackets if possible so that you can anchor the end of the extension to the taller post. I propose drawing up a plan on paper so that you'll see where the panels connect and where the extension posts will be positioned. This will also allow you to explore the possibilities of how to anchor the end of the panel to the taller post. This will also let you know if you'll need an extra panel and if it needs to be cut down to cover any gaps.    

It's important that the panels be supported by two posts. A single post will not be enough on a single panel.

Eric

romeo
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

The 610mm fence on the right is optional for now but thanks for the suggestions. I'll focus on covering the 2x2400 colorbond fence and see how it goes.

Thanks and regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @romeo 

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your fence extension installed.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects