Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

naila123
Finding My Feet

How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Hi All, 

So happy to have found this workshop community. I am keen on making my first wood project in a decade!

I want to make a folding wooden picnic table like in the pictures. I needed helpwith the below questions if someone could assist: 

- Am I going to be able to find all materials at Bunnings? If so, what should I ask for?
- Would I need to waterproof the wood/ paint?- What do I need in tools to make things easier for a novice like myself? 

Any pointers to get me started are welcome! Or if you think it’s too tough for a novice, let me know also :smile: 

Thankyou! 

B02E6DF3-E66E-4344-92ED-60344B52F843.jpeg

9CC80676-8FCD-42A9-858C-FAED88C90181.jpeg

Re: How to make a wooden folding picnic table?

Thanks @MitchellMc for providing clear instructions and links to the materials.

The link to the 70mm treated pine decking is not working but Bunnings do sell these treated pines and I’ve purchased them to make the picnic table.

Can I please ask @MitchellMc @EricL @woodalwaysworks - would you know if these pines are CCA or ACQ treated? If it’s CCA, is it safe to use as a picnic table? 

I did a bit of research (after making the table unfortunately) and found the following - the “APVMA implemented a number of restrictions on CCA that became
effective in March 2006. The main implementation affecting the public is that CCA is no longer used to treat timber for structures where there is frequent and intimate contact, such as playground equipment, picnic tables, handrails, decking boards, garden furniture and exterior seating.”

Appreciate any advice to my concerns, thanks! 

They will be ACQ treated, which is alkaline Copper. This passes Australian safety standards from what I’m aware.

The only materials I’m aware of which are still using CCa treatment is fencing palings and possibly rails.

If you want to stay away from chemicals then stick to original Hardwoods. Just be prepared to pay more per meter. You also get durability though 

Hi @patrick123,

It's great to see @woodalwaysworks has provided a helpful reply. You really just need to stick away from H4 treated sleepers, which are still commonly CCA treated.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @woodalwaysworks and @MitchellMc for your prompt responses.

I reached out to Bunnings head office customer resolutions before I saw your reply and was told the following:

”In regards to product 90 x 22mm 2.4m Decking H3 Treated Pine - I/N: 8032583. The timber buyer has stated ‘The decking in question is actually LOSP treated so essentially fine for a picnic table'”.

Sounds like either ACQ or LOSP is fine for a picnic table, which is great to know.

Thanks again!

Hi @patrick123,

I can't recall the last time I saw pine decking treated with CCA, but it would have been many years ago. ACQ treated pine started becoming readily available in the early 2000s. You can rest assured that we switched to its use for items like decking as soon as regulations came into effect.

I'm not sure where "In-store team members would previously advise that it's CCA treated." is from. If you've been advised of this recently by a team member, I would be happy to contact the store to discuss with them to find out what the confusion surrounding treatment is. We certainly don't want to be telling customers a product has an arsenic-based treatment when it doesn't.

Commonly, decking would be treated with ACQ, but in this case, the buyer has replied that it is LOSP, which is equally safe to use.

You can paint directly over the treated pine, but Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 500mL would assist its adhesion.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc! I’ve found this community to be incredibly helpful and it’s very much appreciated.

Have an awesome weekend 😃

Keep us updated, @patrick123; I can't wait to see your finished results!

Given lockdown in Sydney is ending in a couple of days, this table would be awesome to take to the local park for a picnic. I was at the park the other day and a family had lugged down their entire full-sized outdoor hardwood setting. It brought a smile to my face, but this would be much more convenient.

Mitchell

Hi, 

I am wanting to make this exact table ( x4) for my daughters birthday party. I am going to make them 1.2m long. Would love some help on how to do the legs in terms the lengths of wood needed etc? Any help would be appreciated - I have trawled the net for several hours and have not had much luck. 

Also the treated pine decking - would that be my best option if I want these to be light so easy to transport?

Thanks so much. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @smileyclaire. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a picnic table.

The length of the leg will very much be determined by the angle at which you attach it and the overall height you'd like the table to sit at. I'd suggest you create them oversized and then trim them back to suit. I've created the rendering below for you, so I could have a bit of a play to try and determine a suitable length. With a leg length of 33cm, attached at a 22.5-degree angle, it gives you around 28cms of height from the ground to the bottom of the tabletop. 

You'll likely find a range of Pythagoras theorem calculators online, which can assist with the angle and suitable length of leg.

Pine is likely to be the best choice weight wise.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Tab1.png

Thanks so much @MitchellMc - I am going to get stuck into making these this weekend. I'll let you know how i go :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects