Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to raise a cubby house off the ground for a sandpit beneath?

globetrotter
Cultivating a Following

How to raise a cubby house off the ground for a sandpit beneath?

Hello,

Have purchased a cubby house and would like to raise it off the ground to a height of about 1m as I would like to incorporate a sandpit beneath. Have a few ideas in mind but not exactly sure which approach would be most ideal and wanting some advice/recommendations. The cubby house is 2.7m x 2.5m. My intention is to have 9 posts dug at a dept of 600mm and at a width of 180mm using 90mm x 90mm H4 treated pine posts. To build the subfloor I was going to have two bearers and about 5-6 joists. Am not exactly sure which way the bearers should run and how they should attach to the posts.

Also how should the joists be attached to the bearers, just nailed in on an angle, bugle screws or joist hangers?

And what would the recommended size of the bearers and joists be?

Tagging @MitchellMc for ideas.

Picture below is the idea that I have.

2022-03-10 23_09_41-Window.png

Thanks in advance

globetrotter
Cultivating a Following

Re: Raised Cubby House

Ha ha nice one @MitchellMc . I probably won't dig a deep hole as it won't need as much support as the main structure. 

A separate question for you, the fascia boards on the front of the cubby house where the apex of the roof meets, I found that as the joints are at an angle, there was an embedded piece of plastic that joins the mitre, do you know where I can source a replacement from? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @globetrotter

My colleague @MitchellMc is on a well-deserved break. As to the plastic angle was there a specific size you needed? There are plastic angles such as Siniat 20 x 2400mm PVC Capping Angle Plaster Trim. However, if you need them to be wider you can use galvanized zinc angles or flashing tape if you're trying to seal a gap.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
globetrotter
Cultivating a Following

@EricL not quite what I was after. It is actually a piece of plastic that slots into the timber to create a join where you can't nail securely etc. Looks like glue holds it together.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @globetrotter

Would it be like the plastic "H" piece in panel joins? Just to be safe, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the plastic piece? If you can also include its size and thickness that would be great. 

Would it be something like this -  Wall Art Joiners 2400mm Snow White Sheet/Panel Joiner?  

Eric

globetrotter
Cultivating a Following

@EricL looks like thud

20220402_110542.jpg

20220402_110533.jpg

globetrotter
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc some further pictures of progress. Ran out of decking boards so need to purchase some more and then to fit off the verandah and build the steps.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.04 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.04 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.05 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.06 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.06 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.01 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.19.02 AM.jpeg

        

I love it @globetrotter

I see you went to the effort of installing that additional post on the corner I recommended. Great decision. This really is a tidy build, and you should be exceptionally proud of what you've achieved so far. I'm excited to see your finished results.

I'll be keen to see if @EricL has seen that joining piece before, as I haven't come across them. However, I'll do some investigating.

Many thanks for these updates. They really help to paint the entire picture.

Mitchell

@globetrotter,

OK, I'm back after educating myself. Those appear to be something called a Hoffman key. It's a proprietary system and requires a machine or specific router bit to create the corresponding dovetail channel they slip into. Unless you are particularly passionate about going with that method, I'd recommend ripping down a length of timber with corresponding sides to the angle at which those boards are meeting. This can be used underneath them to provide something to screw into.

Mitchell

globetrotter
Cultivating a Following

@MitchellMc OK you're unreal. I couldn't find anything - maybe I need to improve my Google search skills :-).

Totally unpassionate about retaining that method, I just wanted to make sure those two angles could be secured so I was extra careful not to break it but in the end I did break a portion of it. Thanks for the simpler suggestion.

@MitchellMc I thought I'd share a few more pictures. Stairs is the last part. Any recommendations on building one? Seen a lot of YouTube videos. Happy Easter. 

20220417_171655.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects