Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure contain and add drainage around pool?

clarem
Just Starting Out

How to secure contain and add drainage around pool?

Hi experts,

new to the group seeking advice please. We are having a new pool installed as ours cracked in the recent flooding. All of the existing plants are going but i will keep the giant bird of paradise and the 2 very tall king palms. I need to add drainage to stop the raised beds leaking into the pool area when it rains heavily. What would you recommend to secure the bottom of the two corners with the king palms to the left of the photo and the giant bird of paradise to the right? Should get a bricklayer to enclose? Ir is there a better way? And where should i add drainage?

Thanks in advance!

078ADA94-9F5D-4806-8A16-D807391D7530.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: trees and plant around pool

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @clarem. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about retaining plants.

I'm sorry to hear of the damage to your pool from the recent flooding.

It would look fantastic if you continued the existing border on the left the whole way around. You could likely do this with bricks, but using blocks might be more effective. If it was made deep enough, it would make an ideal location to sit by the pool in the shade. 

Check out this amazing bench the talented @ProjectPete constructed in his poolside timber cabana with concrete bench project. Absolutely stunning.

Your drainage should be added behind the wall so that any water that hits it drops down and is carried away.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitcell, thats a great idea and would indeed have a practical use,.

would the drainage be okay to run to the floer beds off to the right in tge garden do you think? Or would  i meed to connect to storm drain, thanks heaps :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That really depends on the lay of the land behind your property and the amount of water that the drainage will be capturing @clarem. If it's going to be a tremendous amount of water, I wouldn't recommend diverting it into a garden area; instead, you should connect it to the stormwater.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects