Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Incorporating bedrock into a landscaping plan

hughs777
Growing in Experience

Incorporating bedrock into a landscaping plan

Hi, 

I would like to incorporate the existing bedrock into a landscaping plan/ design rather than removing it. The cost of removal will be high and the rock is very hard. 

I'm not very creative and thought that using it as a feature could be the way forward. 

The rock doesn't get a lot of sun in the Winter so the plants would have to be specific. Or, perhaps a feature sculpture, outdoor BBQ or fire pit etc...? 

Could remove parts of it to allow more room and accessibility. 

Any recommendations welcome

IMG_3096.JPG

IMG_3096.JPGIMG_3100.JPGIMG_3101.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Incorporating bedrock into a landscaping plan

Hi @hughs777,

I noticed from the toys that you have a child around two years old. I'd be using this as a play area, and my first thought is turning the rock into an amazing deserted island with a shipwreck as the centrepiece. There's a fantastic step-by-step guide which you should find helpful: D.I.Y. pirate ship sandpit. I'd suggest placing the ship in the corner where the fences meet. You could then build the theme up around that.

We can also assist with how you would go about putting a small safety barrier around the relatively large drop off down to the grassed area. This would also be a great location to place a slide from the rock down to the grass. A colourful shade sail would be a good idea, as I'm sure that area gets hot during summer.

Here are some discussions that you might like to read through:

We've got some great accessories to complement the theme, including Pirates Steering WheelShip BellTelescope and Cargo Net.

I look forward to hearing about what you would like to do with that area, and I trust our helpful members will have some additional ideas for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love Mitch's idea @hughs777. What do you think?

Let me also tag some other helpful Workshop members who might also like to contribute to the discussion: @Noyade@diy_hausdesigns@Adam_W@mich1972 

Jason

hughs777
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitch/ Jason

Thanks so much for your feedback. There are some great ideas there I hadn’t thought of. 

I was also also thinking about having some decking up there and some sort of feature pot/ statue or even a water feature.

Another option would be retaining walls around the edge and then have a low depth garden with plants that could survive in that environment.

Would be interested in those types of ideas. 

Cheers

Hugh

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Hugh (@hughs777),

How are you going with your project? Have you had any more thoughts, or would you like any help with achieving your plan? I believe you could achieve what you have described; perhaps you could draw up a sketch and then you'll be able to ask us the questions you have.

We look forward to seeing what you had envisaged. Please let us know if you need any assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

jess_syd
Getting Established

Good morning Hughs

I’m wondering what kind of tool you used to remove the bedrock, you done by your own? I have the same bedrock as yours 

Hello @jess_syd,

Let me tag @hughs777 so they are alerted to your question. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be able to recommend a suitable tool or method of removing your bedrock once he's back online later today.

It might also help if you could post any photos of your bedrock to make it easier for our members to get an idea of the size, location and other features so they can assist you better. 

Akanksha 

hughs777
Growing in Experience

Hi @jess_syd 

We haven't completed this project in full, as we are getting a landscaper to help with the whole thing. 

However, we put a dent in the rock with the following: 

Started with the small excavator, ended up getting the big one. We got someone to do that as I'm not licensed or don't know how to do it. 

We moved approx. 8 ton of rock, and it looks like we didn't make a massive dent. 

IMG_5619.jpgIMG_5992.jpgIMG_5984.jpgIMG_6090.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jess_syd

If you have the same type of bedrock I'm afraid it will be necessary to engage the services of a digger and operator. I don't think a pick will be enough to flatten that type of rock. Can you please post a photo of the rocky area of your garden? Once our members see what it looks like they should be able to offer recommendations on how to proceed.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects