Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Jazzing up concrete verandahs

PilbaraLiss
Getting Established

Jazzing up concrete verandahs

Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get some suggestions on what we could do to jazz up our concrete verandahs in our new home. 
We live in the Pilbara (Karratha WA) and have limited local options in terms of stores. I recently placed my very first Bunnings order from our nearest store 833kms away! So I’ve sussed that side out lol

ive seen things like stenciling, decking, tiling etc but wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Local labour is expensive and we are semi capable and would try to do it (not too sure about quality lol)

It’s a cyclonic area so it would need to be super secure, it’s very hot here also.

anyway - thanks in advance! :smile:

Ellissa 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Jazzing up concrete verandahs

Hi @PilbaraLiss,

Congratulations on the new home. This must be an exciting time for you. It's certainly a great time to join the Bunnings Workshop community and we're sure you will get plenty of help and inspiration from our clever and creative members. 

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your home so we can see what you are working with? It will really help members make helpful suggestions if they can see your verandah.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. Welcome aboard.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PilbaraLiss
Getting Established

E493148A-FAD7-4E1B-8500-DC3305503D94.jpeg

DA57A854-7FE4-4E81-A378-3AE977691775.jpeg

PilbaraLiss
Getting Established

I’ve uploaded photos of the back (the front is similar but smaller)

please excuse the mess! We’re overwhelmed with the millions of things we are trying to do! 

we’ve given up on the ‘grass’ and are getting it all redone lol but the concrete is an eye sore too. Yep very exciting but overwhelming, our grand ideas are a lot more expensive and exhausting than we thought!

Fantastic to have you join us @PilbaraLiss and thanks for sharing those images so our community members can get a better idea of the space.

You'll find plenty of inspiration on Workshop. Here's a few projects that might help spark ideas:

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help you plan and get started on this project when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @redracer01 to see if he has any ideas to share. Be sure to check out our Top 10 most popular outdoor projects for inspiration too.

Stevie

Hello @PilbaraLiss 

A warm welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Congratulations on your new home! This an exciting time when everything is a possibility and nothing is out of bounds as far as diy and renovation is concerned. Your cemented back area is a perfect candidate for a repaint and stencil! I would love to suggest a classic white back ground paver paint in white and a dark grey stencil ( see picture below ). But if you prefer something not so busy you have dozens of choices online for a stencil pattern The best part? You can even make your own. You could also reverse it and have a dark background with a white stencil. The combinations are almost too many to count. @StevieB 's suggestions are a great way to start planning your back yard renovation. Is there a look or theme were going for? Are we putting in a lot of plants? Cubby house? Perhaps a nice little pond to cool your feet in the late afternoon? A gazebo for those late evening winding down sessions? So many choices! Where to begin, I suggest pen and paper and a good look at the space you have. Where would you like to begin and what would like to see and have. I look forward to all your choices and how your renovation will progress. Please keep us updated and post all the things you've decided to do so that other people in the community who are thinking of renovating their backyard can learn how you did yours. I am eagerly looking forward to your first updates when you've decided on the look your going to go for!

Cheers,

Red

stencil.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you so much for the suggestion and taking the time to reply, it’s so great having some input. I wish we had a Bunnings in town! Lol

i had seen a sealer  called dulux avista which looked quite hardy. I had thought paint would be nice and easy but wasn’t sure how it would go with the head up here (I’ve seen peeling painted driveways in town, but they may have used the wrong product or process?) I imagine out of direct sunlight may help too.

have you heard of that sealer product?

thanks again :smile:

We're always here to help @PilbaraLiss.

Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc so they can offer advice on that particular product.

You may also like to check out this step-by-step guide about How To Paint Concrete Floors.

Hello @PilbaraLiss 

I have heard of Dulux Avista but have not personally used it. I've only ever used white knight cement and pavement paint. This paint has been designed to withstand oz weather, both extreme heat and cold, you won't find this paint lacking in strength and durability. Like any good paint job preparation is key! If the surface is thoroughly cleaned and the sides are preped in the same manner you should get an excellent results. I hope this info helps and we look forward to your progress!  

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @PilbaraLiss,

Dulux Avista is a trade quality product and likely one of the best choices for an extreme environment. However, as @redracer01 has mentioned, the coating is only ever going to be as good as the preparation you put into the surface. Since the surface is already painted, you'll need to clean it and determine the integrity. If it is still solid and not worn through, it would be a perfect candidate for re-coating. Many concrete paints instructions stipulate that if the surface is already painted, it needs to be sound. If the paint is wearing away, it needs to be removed before re-coating.

I'd suggest giving it a clean with a power washer and then updating us with some pictures.

Regarding what else you could do, I'd love to see some bannisters and potentially timber decking. How high are your door sills from the concrete slab?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects