Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low Deck - Timber options for frame

arian10daddy
Building a Reputation

Low Deck - Timber options for frame

Hi All,

Another low deck over Concrete.

The height from concrete to door threshold is only 120mm, so frame can only be 90x45.

I have seen a lot of details in this forum about the low decks. Most of the discussions talk about MGP10 TP.

My question is what are the other options for the 90x45 TP that can be used for framing this low deck? Would a F5 H3 TP suffice?

I read somewhere the load capacity for F5 and MGP10 is similar, with MPG10 being stiffer. Is that right? What is the difference between F5 and MGP10?

Varun

Re: Low Deck - Timber options for frame

Hi Varun (@arian10daddy),

It's great to hear that you've made progress on your decking project. I'd encourage you to use stainless steel deck screws over Climacoat. Climacoat screws are perfect for joining joists but would be considered less aesthetically pleasing than the stainless on a decking board.

I've laid a deck with Zenith 12G x 50mm Stainless Steel Self Drilling Decking Screws, and since they are self-drilling, it saved me loads of time. When fixing screws in hardwood, it's recommended to pre-drill a hole first. If you were happy to pre-drill, something like Zenith 8 - 10 x 50mm Stainless Steel Type 17 Decking Screws would also be adequate.

Both Square drive and Torx drive are significantly more resistant to their heads stripping out than Phillips drive. I've only ever chosen square drive before and have never had any issues with them, but I'd imagine you'd be happy with either as your choice.

All 8g, 10g and 12g decking screws will be adequate for the job. I generally like to use something slightly thicker than the 8g, so 10g would be my choice or the 12g self-drilling option.  50mm screws are also adequate, and personally, I feel the 65mm is a little over-kill. They have more holding force, but 50mm screws will be fine under general decking conditions.

If you are not pre-drilling and countersinking, then trim head screws can leave less distortion to the timber surface. Little ribs under the head expand the timber before the countersunk head being driven home. They give you a better finish than a standard head screw.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a ton for that info, Mitchell. I bought the buildex screws from one of the stores. I guess I'll be going back to swap it for the stainless screws. I'm thinking 10g-50 SS screws and the Smart Bit for the same to drill and countersink before screwing.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted.

I apologise, Varun (@arian10daddy); I forgot to mention one other fixing method you might be interested in.

For the ultimate in concealed fixings, have a look at the Camo Hidden Deck Screw Guide. This allows you to place the screws on the edge of the boards instead of the face. You won't see any screws on your decking boards with this method.

Mitchell

Hi All,

I finished the deck yesterday, with all the bells and whistles I could think of. I will post the pics tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I had one last question for you experienced folks. I used the Aquadeck (Natural) for the merbau decking. Before applying 2 coats of that, I had already installed the deck lights (Brilliant Lighting - Lennox, warm white, 10 pack). After applying the Aquadeck, I realized it stained the stainless steel cover of the deck lights. What would be the best way to remove the stains from the deck lights?

On a side note, it is very disappointing to get incorrect advise from the staff at bunnings store that the deck lights are compatible with the smart controller (https://www.bunnings.com.au/brilliant-36w-diy-plug-in-smart-garden-light-controller_p0145080). I bought both of these, cut out the holes for lights, installed, and then realised the smart controller isnt compatible with the lights at all. Does anyone know of any adaptprs that can be used to connect these? Or maybe a way to have a smart plug connected outside on a weatherproof socket (like maybe a cover around the outdoor socket) ?

I'm excited to see your finished results @arian10daddy.

Since Aquadeck is a water-based product, I would suggest you try to remove the stain on your deck lights with warm water and a toothbrush. Some dishwashing detergent added to the water could assist. You might also find that the coating can be scratched off the surface, but be careful not to mark your stainless steel in the process. 

I am also disappointed to hear of your experience and apologise for the inconvenience caused. HPM has a smart exterior powerpoint that could control the deck lights and allow you to turn them on and off. Your current powerpoint would need to be replaced. Alternatively, there are the Valla deck lights that come with their own remote. They are also a 40mm light and should fit in the holes you have already made. 

I'll reach out via PM for additional details and to help assist in solving this situation.

Mitchell

As promised, here are the pics.

The frame, painted with bitumen paint on the top. I had attached about 10 L-Brackets all around the frame.

20210407_210056.jpg

The deck after 2 Aquadeck applications (from inside, looking out)

20210420_111552.jpg

The deck (from outside, looking in.)

20210420_111616.jpg

Tooting my own horn but I am very proud of the crisp lines and cuts. :laugh:

This is what I meant by the staining of the deck lights. This is supposed to be stainless steel.

20210420_111629.jpg

Spectacular work Varun (@arian10daddy)! I particularly like your attention to detail. The way you've cut boards along their length to fill the sloping gap at the side of the deck is a work of art.

Congratulations on creating a thing of beauty. Now it time to sit back, sip some drinks and admire all your hard work.

Well done.

Mitchell

Just a thought on the screws.  I recently had to replace a large area of deck around our pool and for the Merbau, I elected to use stainless steel screws and pilot drilled each hole first.  Sounds a long process but definitely made it easier.  A builder friend also suggested to spray each screw hole post pilot drill with a liquid / water mixture as this helps to reduce screw temperature and in turn reduces chance of screws breaking.  Good luck.

Some great advice there, @MalcolmSSS. I have experienced stainless screws snapping on me before, so I'll be trying your tip to reduce screw temperature. I did note the ones that had snapped were quite hot as I might not have drilled the pilot holes quite large enough.

Many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects