Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level Ekodeck over stencil concrete slab

Nat2
Building a Reputation

Low-level Ekodeck over stencil concrete slab

22AB4BEC-D034-4A4D-A43B-1AF2C01ABFF1.jpeg

DB445A51-E04B-48A3-9C4C-305D34F0CA91.jpeg

Hi There,

We are about to embark on building an outdoor deck over our existing stencil concrete patio.

We are leaning towards using the Ekodeck product and have come up with a deck design for our given space. We want to keep it pretty simple due to having to work around a bay window. (See 1st image….. showing dimensions, placement of breaker boards and orientation of boards, and where bay windows are - hope you can read my diagram).

Now that the deck design is finalised I am planning the substructure and trying to prepare a list of all the materials I require for this part of the job. This next image shows the plan for the substructure - noggins are in place to support breaker /end boards).

After reading though a number of discussions on this forum I have noticed that when using a timber product for the deck that you recommend allowing as much space beneath the deck as possible for air flow etc. In particular I noted you recommended the use of 90x45 H3 Treated Pine and attaching to concrete using Dynabolts and heavy duty zinc plated angle brackets (ensuring  timber is not in direct contact with ground). 

However as we do not want our deck to sit flush with our brickwork, we were thinking of using the 70x45 instead? The concrete does not pool any water and is currently completely covered with a Vergola / pergola. I understand ekodeck have a minimum ground clearance with adequate drainage of 40mm, so I hope that using the slightly smaller timber would be ok - ie strong enough to support the deck traffic /no sponginess under foot). Do you think this would be ok?

Assuming it’s ok to use the 70x45 H3 treated pine, I was wondering about the carina heavy duty zinc plated angle brackets. Would using the 50x50x40x3.5 be strong enough (rather than the 75x75x40x3.5)?

This may be a silly question (and my husband will probably know the answer, but how many Dynabolts go into the concrete per angle bracket  - 1 or 2?

Similarly what screws do you recommend for attaching bracket to the timber joist - am I correct in assuming 2 screws per bracket? Any particular screw you can recommend?

Where the joists attach to the outer frame do I use joist hangers or can these just be screwed in from the outside into the end of each joist (with countersinking so doesn’t affect the way the fascia board sits)?

Finally should I be using Protectadeck PVC Joist system? And if so where do you recommend it is applied - where timber meets brickwork or where screws go into concrete, or both / neither?

I think that about it for now - just wanting to plan for all the materials and costs to start with. 

Kind Regards.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low-level Ekodeck over stencil concrete slab

Beautiful work, @Nat2! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be sitting back, relaxing and enjoying your hard work in no time.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nat2,

Congratulations on getting your wonderful deck in our Featured Projects section.

Just wondering whether you have final photos you could share? Be great to get an update. 

Thanks again for sharing your project with us - it's already proving to be very inspiring for many community members. 

Jason

Nat2
Building a Reputation

B2C8108D-0AB4-4029-B622-EF75D28B69D9.jpeg

95326652-C561-41F1-A09D-860CA26D2061.jpeg

E6DDF43C-B441-4C52-95A9-E0BD91132215.jpeg

9D9324F0-5323-460C-B018-258635600864.jpeg

86122019-EDAE-4F4C-A580-201BBF90EB3F.jpeg

7EE9891A-3429-422A-A132-4938DD59295D.jpeg

Thanks Jason. We did finish the deck off back in February and it has been great. 
Here are a few photos after it was complete. I would still like to add a few more plants around the deck, but that’s a job for later. I want to build a plant stand that will prevent staining and scratching from my pots and make it easy to keep clean. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @Nat2. Thanks so much for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing what projects you tackle next. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects