Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck design assistance

Dnewbs
Just Starting Out

Low-level deck design assistance

Would you be able to assist in the best design for the following? At the moment to section closest to the door rebate only has roughly 150mm of ground clearance (dirt base) and then this slopes to 300mm near the brick pier footings. Thinking of 140x45 treated pine bearers and joist with 90x19mm Merbau decking boards but this already exceeds the 150mm. Ideas and designs are welcome. 

Screenshot 2022-02-15 190604.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low-level deck with picture framing

Hello @Dnewbs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your low-level deck.

Before you begin, I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This will give you the basic steps you'll need to plan your deck. In this particular scenario, since you only have a starting space of 150mm, you'll have to use 90 x 45 framing timber instead. If you add the decking panel thickness of 19mm you'll have a total of 109mm, the remaining gap will be 41mm. This is on the condition that you will build it as a single-layered structure.

I suggest having a look at the Builders Edge Pedestal Feet System in conjunction with pavers and concrete to support your decking frame. But you also have the option of using timber or concrete posts.

I recommend grabbing pen and paper and drawing your idea of how the frame should be laid out. One of the things to keep in mind while planning your decking frame is in which direction are the decking panels going to be laid out? Naturally, the frame will be in the opposite direction as the decking panel. 

One of the most important things to keep in mind is water drainage. The last thing you want to happen is for water to sit under your deck. The heavy moisture will damage and shorten the life of your deck. So make sure that there are no low slopes or pits in the area and that you have adequate drainage planned out.

I'm sure my colleague @MitchellMc will be giving you more advice and information for your low-level deck when he returns on Friday.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds

Here are some fantastic low-level deck projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low-level deck design assistance

Hi @Dnewbs,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

We're looking forward to seeing you make progress on your new deck. I trust Eric's reply and the resources he linked to were very helpful, but please let us know how we can assist further. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects