Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level deck

Hi @jinugu,

The frame is connected to the joists via the hangers, so it doesn't need its own post. You can screw through the frame directly into the ends of the joists with bugle screws instead of using the hangers. 

You can connect the joists to the posts without the cut if you use a couple of bolts. I wouldn't suggest using nails, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jinugu
Junior Contributor

Thanks Mitchell.

I am just reconfirming. I can get away with not using the joist hangers, instead screw the  through the frame directly into the ends of the joists?

I almost have my plan of action ready, time to execute. Lastly which decking board would you recommend?

Ravi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's correct, @jinugu. You don't need to use joist hangers. The frame can be fixed into position with screws instead.

For the decking board, check out this helpful guide: How to select decking timber. I'd recommend Treated Pine if you're on a strict budget. Merbau/Stringybark/Blackbutt/Ironbark/Tallowwood for beautiful, long-lasting hardwood options. Or, for a no-maintenance solution, you should consider composite decking.

Personally, I can't go past a good hardwood and am currently building my deck out of Merbau.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects