Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Low-level deck

Help required experts.

I am attaching herewith a drawing (very crude) with what I was proposing (Drawing is not to scale & none of the timber will touch the floor except the posts). I want a low level deck (to avoid steps/avoid stumbling). I haven't provided the ground clearance etc because it's is flexible. I have seen else where in this workgroup that the deck will be classified as low level if its within 400 mm from the ground.

jinugu_3-1640512588329.png

Some additional information :

1. External frame : 150 X 55 Treated timber. Fixed to the posts p1-p10. The external frame would not be touching he ground i.e will be screwed /nailed accordingly to the post. 

2. Bearer 1 will be fixed to the post at p1,p5 & p6, bearer 3 to post at p2, p12 & p7 and so forth.

3. Bearer 2 will be fixed to the post p11 (also intend to use angle bracket for additional strength) and the ends to the external frames on joist hangers j1 & j2. Bearer 4 to post 13 and the ends to external frame j3 & j4. 

4. May use noggins for support between the bearers for eg B1 & B2 and so on and so forth.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Ravi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level deck

Hi @jinugu,

The frame is connected to the joists via the hangers, so it doesn't need its own post. You can screw through the frame directly into the ends of the joists with bugle screws instead of using the hangers. 

You can connect the joists to the posts without the cut if you use a couple of bolts. I wouldn't suggest using nails, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jinugu
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell.

I am just reconfirming. I can get away with not using the joist hangers, instead screw the  through the frame directly into the ends of the joists?

I almost have my plan of action ready, time to execute. Lastly which decking board would you recommend?

Ravi

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's correct, @jinugu. You don't need to use joist hangers. The frame can be fixed into position with screws instead.

For the decking board, check out this helpful guide: How to select decking timber. I'd recommend Treated Pine if you're on a strict budget. Merbau/Stringybark/Blackbutt/Ironbark/Tallowwood for beautiful, long-lasting hardwood options. Or, for a no-maintenance solution, you should consider composite decking.

Personally, I can't go past a good hardwood and am currently building my deck out of Merbau.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell 

I have started working on my project. I got some one to dig holes for me. Since, I am working alone I am doing it a bit different to what normally people would do.  I am just aligning all the posts before I pour concrete. I didn't want to do a lot of timber cutting, hence bought precut posts. 600 mm in length - circa 400mm in ground and 200 above. The problem i now have is, i don't have enough space to use the batten screws  to fix the joists to the frame. can i use angle brackets instead? (i know the work i have done so far looks shabby at its best but this is only my 2nd project - the first one was a shade sail). I will wait for your reply.

IMG_20220214_180108.jpgIMG_20220214_180027.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jinugu

Thank you so much for posting an update on your low-level deck project. If you're going to use angle brackets for the "joist" or that outside piece of framing timber, I suggest levelling and aligning everything in place first, then pour the concrete into the footings. You can then attach that piece of timber after everything is in place. 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will add more information in case I've missed anything.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. 

Hi Mitchell

Do you have anything else to add?

Also, could you post a link to the ones (angle brackets) you would recommend. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jinugu,

Given your method, I highly suggest you get yourself a 1200mm level and make sure those joists are perfectly positioned before concreting them in.

Something like this Carinya 100 x 100 x 40 x 6mm Galvanised Heavy Duty Angle Bracket - single should suffice.

Mitchell

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Many thanks Mitchell. I have bought a level.

Some of the joists themselves are not straight (a little curved). How do I fix it? chisel doesn't look like an option for me. Some time ago I looked up the website there was something better available (don't remember the name) Any suggestions. Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low-level deck

Hello @jinugu

Usually, the posts are placed into the ground first and are lined up using a builders line and concreted in place. Then the timber framing is attached to the posts which force them to straighten out using the nut and bolt assembly. In this instance, we can't do that anymore as you have already drilled into the timber frame and posts.

Your current option is to try and level the frame as best you can before fixing them in place. If you need to trim a bit of the top of the frame, I suggest using a Planer to flatten the top of the timber. Please note that over planing the timber frame will compromise its strength.  

I recommend using Dunnings 40 x 40 x 40 x 5mm M12 Galvanised Angle Bracket to attach the outside timber piece. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Re: Low-level deck

Many thanks Eric

I was aware of the usual practice i.e posts placed in ground first ... and i understand that's the best way to do it.

I would have struggled to get the posts correct i.e in line and all at the same height (i am working alone - no help what so ever until this stage  except for digging holes for which i used the services of a handyman -  and may not have help going forward as well). I thought the process I have used will give me the best chance to get all the posts at the equal height. I will concrete in the first row (joist) to the desired height i.e 200 mm from the ground and take that as a reference point for the other rows.  Thanks for suggesting the planer; i had that in mind and your advice just reaffirmed my thoughts. I will use the planer only sparingly, as i can see that the joists are not very crooked. I have some spare joists just in case I need to replace the crooked ones. 

Thanks for suggesting the angle bracket. I will keep updating the project with pics for your thoughts and suggestions. I will take a wee while but intend to complete latest by the end of this month.

Thanks for all your help.

Best regards

Ravi Jinugu

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects