Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New deck

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

New deck

Hi All,

Wanted to share with you our new deck. It's been so nice to be able to enjoy it over summer!

It was built over some old concrete and natural ground. Approx. 60sqm in size. 

- Treated pine for bearers and joints

- Belian (Malaysian Hardwood) decking

- Finished with an oil.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have. :smile:

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_2174 2.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TrendyK. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

Hopefully, @DIYgals can share some feedback on how their deck has held up.

Was it just the muddy paw prints leaving dirty marks on the decking, or does the coating have water staining marks in it? We'll need to establish if this discolouring is in or on the coating.

For any dirt that is sitting on top of the coating, you might like to use Feast Watson 1L Floor Clean and a microfibre mop to make quick work of cleaning the area. In your first image, I notice there appears to be some variation to the timber's colouring before oiling, which has potentially shown through the final coating. If it is the underlying colour of the deck showing through the coating, then a re-sand would be needed, so the timber is all taken back to a bare surface. A deck sander is the best tool for this job as it gives a consistent finish and is a lot easier on the knees than a handheld orbital sander.

If you can let me know the exact product you've used, I can investigate why the decking might discolour from the rain.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @TrendyK , your deck also looks great! We are still very happy with the finish our our deck. We also have a little pupper and she leaves her cute but annoying little paw marks all over. Every now and then, we do wash down our deck with the hose and the squeegee it off with one of these: https://www.bunnings.com.au/oates-600mm-aluminium-floor-squeegee_p4485250.

We have used an oil to finish our deck, and although initially it required quite a few application we are very happy with how it has held up. Our backyard is currently a building site, so it has copped quite a beating! @TrendyK what do you have around your deck? Our deck is surrounded by grass, I think this might also help with cleaning our puppers paws before she hops onto the deck. 

MiaR
Just Starting Out

how many sqm is the area that your dining table is on?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @MiaR. Let me tag the wonderful @DIYgals so they are alerted to your question about the size of the deck.

Are you working on your own decking project? We would be happy to help. We trust you'll get all manner of ideas, inspiration and advice from our clever and creative members.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Hi @MiaR ,

The rectangular section that the table sits on is around 25-30 sqm.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects