Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor Bonsai workbench with built-in sink

alicanterenodb
Making a Splash

Outdoor Bonsai workbench with built-in sink

This was one of my more basic projects which got a bit tricky as I wanted to incorporate an old steel shelving which became redundant as I replaced it with a much more heavy duty one. Also I wanted to use tiles both on the top of bench but also for the front sliding doors  The size of tiles pretty much determind the layout of the shelving. After a visit to Bunnings Tile section I took some of the dimensions and also sizes of the heavy duty Tubs which I planned to use as Wash tubs. I used Treated pine to frame the tiles and a few coats of Dulux weathershield Gloss Grey. I also spray Painted the tubs to Match also using Dulux plastic coat which adhered perfectly. Considering that not a lot of planning went into this project it transformed a rather dull section into a bit of eye catcher. Also decided to collect all my bonsai and display them together. Needed also to attach a couple of glass shelves above the bench from the bunnings range. An adjustable racking for all the bits and pieces. A properly cut piece of perspex laid across the tub which gave me a bit more working space.

Bunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 1.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 2.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 3.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 4.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 5.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 6.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 7.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 8.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 9.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 10.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 11.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 12.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 13.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to construct an Outdoor Bonsai Work Bench with a built in small and large sink Tub

What an excellent project, @alicanterenodb! You've made great use of those tiles, and they look sensational.

I'm so pleased to see your project came together, and well done creating a functional space to care for your bonsai. Are those larger specimens Port Jackson Figs? They're one of my favourite plants to turn into bonsai.

Many thanks for sharing, and congrats on a fabulous build.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how to construct an Outdoor Bonsai Work Bench with a built in small and large sink Tub

hI MitchellMc

thank you for your kind comments. Yes they are Port Jacksons.Also one of my favouriteAn unconventional approach to bonsaiAn unconventional approach to bonsai as it is easy to turn into a bonsai. I started with the tiny ones you get from Bunnings for around 5 Dollars. I also use the clear plastic tubs I got from bunnings.These tubs are invaluable to prevent the bonsai from drying out especially in the hottest part of the year and still allow a clear view. Also prevent moisture loss and increase humidity and help to keep the bench dry.

One othe function of the Bonsai Bench is to house all th Bits and pieces like fertilisers, potting soil and chemicals. I was undecided whether to use removable handleas as I don't want my grand kids to gain access for obvious reasons.

Love it @alicanterenodb!

I no longer actively practise Bonsai, but here's one of my Port Jackson's.

Mitchell

PJ1.JPGPJ2.JPG

Congratulations Mitchell that's an amazing bonsai.Thank you for Showing it to me. Please Keep in mind that I'm not even a novice  when it comes to Bonsai.I just love to create my own version without having to wait 100years. Bonsai is just one of a hundred interests to keep me amused. The challenge for me with outside potted plants in particular Bonsai is keeping them alive when you get temp of 43 degrees in the shade. And trust me I have more than a hundred potted plants. For me its all about having some fun and not be too obsessed with perfection. Of course that doesn't mean I don't appreciate craftsmanship.

These are a couple of my fun creations and the containers were Bunnings clearance at rydalmere as the plants were  beyond rescue. IMy spirit bonsai and I used air dried clay for the spiritMy spirit bonsai and I used air dried clay for the spiritI used three varieties of plantsincluding some kind of furnI used three varieties of plantsincluding some kind of furnp the plants from the ground and  planted them in these bonsai pots.Total cost plus potting mix and wire $60

That PJ Fig was purchased as some advanced Bonsai stock @alicanterenodb. I didn't do anything particularly special to it apart from some trimming and potting it up. It was likely grown for ten years in a large styrofoam container and seasonally chopped back to increase the size of the trunk. It would have looked quite nice once I established some ramification of the branches and structure.

I love the trunk in that left photo; so gnarly and thought-provoking. Was it a tree you found that had a live bud on the trunk?

I'm a great fan of the planting on the right as I'm really into Penjing and creating landscapes. Almost more so than Bonsai itself. Searching for moss for the pot was one of my favourite activities.

Thanks for this trip down memory lane. I'm now considering going out and purchasing some more stock to turn into Bonsai!

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Outdoor Bonsai workbench with built-in sink

Gee whizz that’s great @alicanterenodb I love this and your Bonsai collection. Can I ask if the Bonsai get enough light in there ?  Thank You so much for sharing with everyone in the Bunnings Workshop Community ☺️

Hi mich1972 Thanks for your positive comments. Yes to the  light as the awning is made of clear polycarbonate sheet but I found that in the hot season the bonsai dry out too Quick.So I rigged up some shade cloth which covers the entire side of my block including the awning, since I have other exposed potted Plants. The Idea is to remove the shade cloth in Winter but I got a bit lazy so I left it. Just to make sure lighting was adequate I attached 20m uv plant grow lighting along the awning.As you can see from the photo I took 4 days ago the jazmine is flowering and we,ve had overnight temp of 1 and 2 degrees. I mainly use the lighting on overcast and rainy days.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alicanterenodb

What a beautiful setup for your Bonsai plant hobby. I've always wanted to attempt growing my own but then realized that the ones I wanted required a great deal of time. But looking at your collection is really inspirational and your preparation area is awesome.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic Bonsai workbench project.

Eric

Hi MitchellMc so the Bonsai with the spirit on the left was a 20 year old which to be honest always seemed a bit unhealthy especially in winter. It was one of the few plants that was not in a pot.

It was my first attempt at reconstructing a bonsai.The actual trunk was 6 times the diam  and I cut it and gave it a weathered look. The shoot that you see was growing horizontally and I used a splicing technique to bend it almost at right angle. The technique will injure the stalk but thankfully it healed really well.Its now growing and it will needs some pruning shortly. The Spirit head was also a stalk that had a knot  and I was able to cut it at that point and it almost looked like a spirit which gave me the idea of crafting the spirit head which apart from the beard actually looked like a spirit. As I have said before this is just one of my hundred interest. I never visit Bunnings without checking the bonsai Collection. When I see one thats discounted and needs to be rescued then its going to come home with me. The one on the right was my second and I'm reasonably happy with the result. As you can see I don't follow rules but who cares. Nine out of ten people will ask me where I got that bonsai and when I say Bunnings mostly the remarks are positive.😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects