Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor Bonsai workbench with built-in sink

alicanterenodb
Making a Splash

Outdoor Bonsai workbench with built-in sink

This was one of my more basic projects which got a bit tricky as I wanted to incorporate an old steel shelving which became redundant as I replaced it with a much more heavy duty one. Also I wanted to use tiles both on the top of bench but also for the front sliding doors  The size of tiles pretty much determind the layout of the shelving. After a visit to Bunnings Tile section I took some of the dimensions and also sizes of the heavy duty Tubs which I planned to use as Wash tubs. I used Treated pine to frame the tiles and a few coats of Dulux weathershield Gloss Grey. I also spray Painted the tubs to Match also using Dulux plastic coat which adhered perfectly. Considering that not a lot of planning went into this project it transformed a rather dull section into a bit of eye catcher. Also decided to collect all my bonsai and display them together. Needed also to attach a couple of glass shelves above the bench from the bunnings range. An adjustable racking for all the bits and pieces. A properly cut piece of perspex laid across the tub which gave me a bit more working space.

Bunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 1.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 2.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 3.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 4.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 5.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 6.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 7.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 8.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 9.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 10.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 11.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 12.jpgBunnings  DIY  bonsai bench 13.jpg

Re: Outdoor Bonsai workbench with built-in sink

Thanks for your generous comments EricL. You would be surprised how little time you need to maintain once you set up a proper watering system.

The summer heat is obviously the worst as these are shallow rooted but as long as you have adequate shade and a regular watering system and perhaps some uv light for overcast days then all is good. The tubs also work a treat for occasional soaking. The clear containers that I display them in have worked a treat as any runoff is caught and heps raise the humidity in the summer heat. Although its always risky to have a shallow rooted plant outside especially with the unusually high temperatures.

@alicanterenodb  love your Camellia in full bud too !! Beautiful ☺️

camelia seen through front gate grown in groundcamelia seen through front gate grown in groundnormally a big ball on a bare trunknormally a big ball on a bare trunkdouble form camelia just spectaculardouble form camelia just spectaculartwo tall camelias grown in large bunnings potstwo tall camelias grown in large bunnings potsmeerkat I purchased from bunning keeping a close eye  on intrudersmeerkat I purchased from bunning keeping a close eye on intrudersAzaelias and Camelias brighten  my winter bluesAzaelias and Camelias brighten my winter blues

Hello @alicanterenodb

Thank you very much for posting those extra photos of your plant collection. They look wonderful, it must bring you so much joy just walking into this area and seeing everything blooming.  I totally agree that your Azaelias and Camelias really make you forget about winter with their beautiful colours. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric its my pleasure.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects