Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor chair from pallet wood

abhayks
Having an Impact

Outdoor chair from pallet wood

Hi, 

Just built a chair from pallets wood. Gave me a lot of confidence. I'm sure that it has lots of technical issues, but hey ! I built it myself and thats a big source of joy for me :smile:

Still have to paint them though. I'm thinking of  Timber-protect . Will that be good for backyard ? protection from elements ? 

Any ideas suggestions are most welcome. Hope to do better in my next chair. 

Tools Used : 

1) Sander ( 40 grit, 80 grit, 120 grit and 160 grit) 

2) Jigsaw  and Circular Saw 

3) Drill  Use it for Drill and Driving Screws. No Impact driver needed. 

4) Workbench  

5) Exterior Wood Glue 

Some screws. Not used pocket holes, but might try out in the next one. 

Thanks Bunnings for the guidance your Castle Hills and Seven hills staff gave in selecting the tools. 

ChairFront.jpegChairLeft.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Outdoor chair from pallet wood

Hello @abhayks 

Any chair you can walk away from is a good chair!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic project @abhayks, I can't believe you've made it from pallets!

I've always loved Adirondack styled chairs as they look super comfortable. I'm also a huge fan of recycling pallet wood into new usable items.

Well done and many thanks for sharing, as I'm sure it will inspire other members to attempt a similar build.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Guys. Any recommendations on the pain or Oil  I should use to protect it from elements ? 

Its primarily for drinking coffee in the backyard Patio. Its not fully covered, so sometimes the chair will get exposed to rain. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abhayks,

The type of protective coating you use really depends on the look you are going for. A garden furniture oil would be suitable, or you could paint it a colour with exterior paint if you'd like. Both coatings will significantly increase the lifespan of your Pine chair when it's out in the elements. Personally, I would advise using the oil as it will allow you to admire the natural beauty of the timber.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc . 

Used a torch to burn and then garden Furniture oil. 

Result looks OK to me. ChairFrontPainted.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That flame effect has certainly added an interesting element to the finish @abhayks.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next project.

Mitchell

Hello @abhayks 

I'm sure I'm not the first to say it but this looks absolutely gorgeous! The color and finish is just so nice. The woods character has definitely come out and has made it so much more. Excellent work on this first go! Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Meling
Building a Reputation

@abhayks 

Love the chair, I am going to try and make one from recycled bed slats .... thanks for the inspiration 

Mel 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects