Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor kitchen and entertainment area

raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Outdoor kitchen and entertainment area

I have been thinking of upgrade my backyard entertainment area and build a outdoor BBQ kitchen for quite some time, last year I finally decided to put it in action.

Things have been done so far:

• Upgraded pergola roof to better heat resistaint sheets, it is now much more comfortable during a hot summer day.
  • Upgraded the lightling and installed a ceilin fan, it worked very well during last Christmas.
  • Did the plumbing work including both hot and cold water pipes and drain pipe which connected to the existing kitchen drain.
  • Built the half wall for the kitchen area

To be done

• Build a decking floor across the entire pergola area
  • Build kitchen cupboard and building BBQ and Wok Burner

Chellenges

• In oder to ensure the new decking floor is not higher than the house floor, the whole decking is very close to the ground. The lowest point is only about 90mm from paving surface to the top of joist. I am using 70mm timber for the joist support system.

Anyone has any suggestions and/or previous experiences, I'd love to hear. Thank you.

10167463970542539.jpg135514022306634392.jpg285791885861046254.jpg469929062547260044.jpg602863975091113076.jpg607051661585715963.jpg

thebugles
Finding My Feet

Re: Outdoor Kitchen and Entertainment area

have a look at klevaklip adjustable joist support. WIll need a concrete base though.

Welcome to Workshop @thebugles and thanks for joining in the discussion. I'm looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. 

@raymao268: You might be interested in this previous discussion on Workshop - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor-Living/Raised-Tiled-backyard-entertainment-area-what-options/... where @AshY had a similar paved space to work with.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jason for sharing the similar post. I will have a look later on, hopefully can get some hints from it. 

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

This might be a very obvious suggestion, but why not lift up and remove all the pavers to give you more clearance @raymao268?

raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the suggestion, have taken this option into consideration before, but have decided not to do that for a couple of reasons:

1. Obviously it will involve lot heavy work to remove over 40M2 of paves.

2. More importantly, it will change the water drainage situation, and if it is not being done correctly, will cause long term water problem which I don't want that. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Yeah, removing pavers is a pain. We removed a lot of old concrete pavers at our place and am glad to be rid of them! 

Not sure about your second point though. Would have thought that removing the pavers wouldn't affect your drainage, or actually improve things. 

raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Decking is almost completed, final clean up and decking oil to be done. The kitchen is fully installed and connected. Getting ready for Christmas, Yah!

IMG_20171125_174415.jpgIMG_20171125_174426.jpgmmexport1511660443787.jpg

It's looking great @raymao268. I'm sure it will be a great space for entertaining and relaxing. 

Thanks for sharing your update. It must be very exciting to be so close to finishing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymao268
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jason.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects