Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

funksoulbro1
Junior Contributor

Re: Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

Hi @Ekodeck,

This reply comes from a DIY home owner who has never built a deck before in his life but was happy to give it a crack. The decision to use your product was based on the vast amount of tutorial information that was available to me (website, youtube etc) and to the composite material that ensured a long life due to its guarantee and warranty. The lengths are a little tricky to work with but is not impossible for one person to handle. Cutting the material is easy with a standard sized dropsaw. Once the first board is set, the rest of the installation is quite straight forward. The trick was to not fix them down until 3 rows are in place and all square. I installed a breaker board to avoid the use of butt joints, that was the best decision I made to ensure the best outcome and finish. Care needs to be taken with furniture or other items when moving them across the surface as the product scratches quite easily. I have 25% exposed to the elements and so far it's holding up quite well. Cleaning is easy, my tip is to squeegy the surface after washing it down for a good finish. Overall, very happy with my decision to purchase the Designer Series boards and would recommend their use to anyone embarking on a similar project.

Asanga14
New Contributor

Hi mate 

I was just wondering what kind of material was made for the cabinetry and is it suitable for outdoor use.

thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Asanga14.

Let me tag @funksoulbro1 so they are alerted to your question about the cabinetry. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. Are you planning your own outdoor kitchen project? We'd love to hear more. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
funksoulbro1
Junior Contributor

Hi @Asanga14 ,

The cabinet linings are a composite material. The light grey lining under the sink and to the RHS of the fridge was purchased on eBay. The lining under the BBQ are offcuts from the ekodeck decking I installed, this is also composite. Both materials are OK for outdoor use, including the benchtops. Although my kitchen as you can see is under a patio awning but is susceptible to rain on windy days.

Cladding info - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIGHT-GREY-Outdoor-WPC-Wall-Cladding-Timber-Wood-look-Paneling-Ceiling-P... 

Paul

Asanga14
New Contributor

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much information 

asanga

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects