Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor plaster ceiling replacement

pnaylor
Getting Established

Outdoor plaster ceiling replacement

Have a outdoor Alfresco with a Plaster ceiling which has started to crack and split in the joins along with nail holes starting to show, I think the exposure to outdoor weather has created the issue the house is about 12 years old, I was considering removing the ceiling plaster and replacing it with a white coloured timber. 

Would love to hear thoughts on the following 

1.Timber cost versus plaster I am assuming plaster is cheaper and would a timber product be ok?

2. What timber product should I look at, or is there another solution?

3. How difficult would a project like this to complete for a amateur?

4. Alternatively should I just repair it and repaint the ceiling?

5. Also considering putting heating on ceiling but this does not need to done now, any thought on a product?

Ceiling is 5670 x 5640 

Have included a couple of pics but they don't show the real condition of the plaster clearly.

Photo 25-1-21, 7 04 48 pm.jpg

Photo 25-1-21, 7 05 04 pm.jpg

Photo 25-1-21, 7 04 39 pm.jpg

Thank you for your assistance

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Outdoor Plaster Ceiling replacement

I don't think plaster board is suitable choice for an outside area. You would be better off using fibre cement panels. Timber lining will look great but will cost more. T&G strips recommended so that the boards will stay locked together  not warp. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Outdoor Plaster Ceiling replacement

Great to see you make your first Workshop post @pnaylor. Welcome. I'm also pleased to see you got a prompt and helpful reply from @TedBear.

Let me also tag @ProjectPete to see how he would tackle this project.

@MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Outdoor plaster ceiling replacement

@pnaylor Budget permitting I'd suggest looking for a timber/composite lining/cladding to a) fix the problem and b) create a feature in your alfresco space. To do this you'd fix timber battens to existing roof joists/rafters then attach the lining/cladding to those. Skill wise I think it's appropriate for an amateur with the right tools and instructions.

However your most cost-effective option is going to be a targeted fix on the affect panels. Depending where the issue is you could just remove a section, tape a new piece in then patch and paint. Or you could be looking at replacing whole panels.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pnaylor,

It's great to see you've already received plenty of helpful advice. I'd suggest the first thing to do is scraping and sanding back into this area to find out what is going on. This might be a case of simply screwing a sheet back into position and re-plastering the seam. Plaster in a humid environment swells and contracts and cracks form at joins where there is movement. Your timber idea is something worth thinking about, but I would encourage you to first determine if this is a major issue or just a simple repair.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Repair Cracks In Plaster.

Mitchell

iveg
Building a Reputation

Have the same problem. Gyprock not an ideal ceiling choice. Hardi flex sheeting with PVC joining strips a better choice. A no brainer the cost of removing gyprock and installing Hardie flex  (fibre sheeting) expensive. I went with repairing the gyprock joints and nail holes and painting with matte white outdoor paint. Good luck my friend.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @iveg. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Our members who come across this discussion will appreciate your input. How is your repair holding up? 

I'd agree that using Hardieflex will be a better solution than plaster. There is Gyprock Aquachek plasterboard designed for wet areas. I suspect it would fair much better in an enclosed outdoor area than standard plasterboard.

We look forward to hearing about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please shout out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

pnaylor
Getting Established

IMG_1429.jpgIMG_1430.jpgIMG_1431.jpg

pnaylor
Getting Established

Ended up repairing the Ceiling added more screws to secure it peeled off old plaster joint tape and replaced it, I then had the issue of the paint peeling away had to scrape away sections and repair with plaster fill, it looks as though it was never undercoated properly when first built, painted with a weather shield paint to help protect it I guess time will tell fairly happy with the result but was a fair amount of work.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Amazing work, @pnaylor

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects