Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Solar house number

Del26
Building a Reputation

Solar house number

20211003_112229.jpg

We had enough of food deliveries not finding us so we decided to do this solar powered house number.

We used a dremel to cut numbers in a PVC pipe. Sanded the edges and the pipe to paint with a spray can. We removed the top of a solar powered garden light that just fit the top of the pipe. Originally we wre going to cement the base but it didn't turn up great so a pot and a plant did the trick.

Now our house number is easily spotted at night for food delivery or in case of emergency.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Solar house number

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Del26. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

I love how you've really got your priorities straight here, food deliveries before cases of emergencies. MitchellMc_0-1645753725601.png Jokes aside, I'm really impressed with your ingenuity and the Dremel skills. You've got much steadier hands than I do.  

Do you happen to know what solar light you used and the pipe size it matched with? Those details would benefit those coming across your project and wanting to replicate it themselves. The amount of light there seems just about perfect, and I'm sure it can be seen from the road. Anyone missing the numbers now might need to consider glasses.

You'll have to update us on whether the food delivery service improves.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Del26 

I just wanted to compliment you on a fantastic idea and excellent cutting skills. On a side note, your Agave looks great. For a moment there I thought you had integrated the pipe along with your plant. It's good to see that you were wearing protective gear while cutting the PVC. What spray paint did you use to get such a great finish?

Thank you so much for sharing an excellent idea.

Eric

WesBaker51
Growing in Experience

Great idea...Well done!

Del26
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

Food can be an emergency when you are a hungry pregnant woman !  It was done about 6 months ago and so far so good, no delivery issues.

I wish i kept the receipt but from memory we used a 90mm PVC pipe 1M long with most likely this solar light . 

The numbers are about 8cm tall each to be visible. I look at a template online that reproduce on the pipe with a pencil then a marker prior to cutting.

Hope that helps

Del and Bryan

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Del26,

This is such a clever idea! I have bookmarked it so I can hopefully give it a go myself. Thank you so much for sharing. 

Katie

Del26
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

Good eye, yes we had eye protection. Didn't want somevbroken pieces or blades going in our eyes. 

We used a plastic primer first, can't remember which one. The final colour we use the left over from another project dulux spray can 

Cheers

Del and Bryan 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

@Del26,

That looks really awesome, thank you so much for sharing this!

Cheers,

Mike T.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Del26,

I personally would have added a cap to the top of the pipe to keep the rain out, before it was painted.

Del26
Building a Reputation

Considering the numbers holes will let water or anything else going in and the fact that the light need to shine through, it is unnecessary. Plus we siliconed the solar light to the top of the pipe and never had any issues. Still working after over a year

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects