Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stain from Merbau under balcony when it rains

Krys1
Just Starting Out

Stain from Merbau under balcony when it rains

When it rains the area under the merbau balcony is always stained by the merbau and dirt from the balcony.

How can I manage this paved area and the water that runs down the walls. I would be most grateful for some suggestions.

Krys1

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stain from Merbau under balcony when it rains

Hello @Krys1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Merbau balcony.

The stain coming off your balcony is the oil and tannin from the pre-oiled Merbau panels. If you've recently had your Merbau panels installed, this process of bleeding will keep happening for the next six to twelve weeks depending on the amount of rain you get in your area. This process is also known as seasoning, it's when fresh panels are left to age or weather in the elements. The best time to oil and stain your balcony is when all the oil and tannins have come off the Merbau panels.

One way to accelerate the process is to wash your balcony with Cabot's 2L New Timber Prep. Please keep in mind that if you use this product you will need to oil or stain your balcony. Leaving it bare for extended periods of time is not good for your Merbau panels. 

One way to protect the bottom of your balcony from getting stained is to cover the area with Builders Plastic for the six to twelve week period. Once the Merbau Panels have settled or you've oiled and stained it, you can then remove the cover.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Krys1
Just Starting Out

Thank you for your reply Eric, The balcony has been stained a few times during the four years it has been up. My problem is the rain causes any dirt etc on the balcony to mess up the paved area under the balcony.

Thanks in anticipation of  an solution. Krys1

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Krys1

Now that we've established that it's not freshly laid Merbau panels. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area where the Merbau balcony is?

One method of redirecting the water coming through the balcony is to install Polycarbonate Sheets. I recommend reading this discussion - What is the easiest and cheapest way to stop water dripping through the deck upstairs to downstairs by @Ellshell. My colleague @MitchellMc has proposed an excellent solution to redirect any water coming through the panels and away from the deck itself. If the bottom of your balcony is suitable this method should work effectively.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects