Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Unsealed door sill

MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

Unsealed door sill

So I finally got my tiles and was able to finish the job. I am very happy with the results. The whole lot is water proof and will stop any further water damage inside the room. ACEDCEF8-051C-476C-BC0E-1960AA07F965.jpeg

3AB99636-6ABB-4EFA-9C96-2851084F007A.jpeg

So this is my first post.  My husband moved out a month ago leaving me with three kids and a heap of half finished DIY projects around the house, some older than my 15yo.  This is probably the most urgent one.  When our third child was on his way we decided to convert the attached garage to more living space rather than moving.  We had a builder do the work but he didn't complete the door sill around the sliding glass door that replaced the roller garage door at the back of the garage.  Because it is unfinished there is considerable water damage to the trim, walls and carpet inside the room.  Before I deal with the water damage I am going to make the door waterproof.  I was thinking I would need to clean up the brickwork, put up some form work, screed off the area with a suitable concrete type product and then once it is cured I will tile the sill to finish it.  I also need to do something about the gap around the rest of the door, I was thinking of sealing it with a gap filler, painting some beading to match and gluing the beading on.  I am a total novice at this sort of work but fairly handy and more than willing to learn.  IMG_1804.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1808.JPG

Ok I am editing to add some progress photos.  It took me a few weeks to get the shed and yard cleaned up enough for me to find what tools and materials I had available. And last weekend I finally got the screed laid on the door sill. I am hoping I will be able to get the tiling done next weekend.  IMG_1925.jpgIMG_1926.jpgIMG_1929.jpgNot bad for a begininer I thought. The gap is too wide towards the bottom, I will have to go over it a few times to actually fill it up.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Unsealed door sill

Hi @MelBrown,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join us and are confident that you'll receive loads of helpful advice, information and inspiration for your D.I.Y. projects around the house from our clever and creative community members. 

Do you need any specific advice for this project? I am happy to tag members that might be able to provide some assistance if you'd like to let us know what you are having trouble with. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason,
Yes I would love some advice. I want to know if I am on the right track with what I plan to do to fix this, any recommendations for products to use, and any tips, tricks, and techniques to help me with it.
thanks
Mel
MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

I do have one very important question, do I need to put a slope on the new sill to provide drainage? If so how much?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @MelBrown,

Apologies that you haven't had a reply as yet. Let me tag a few of our helpful members to see if they might be able to share their thoughts on how they would go about tackling your drainage issues.

@LePallet@Brad@ProjectPete@redracer01@royq@gippslandhome    

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Hello @MelBrown , thanks @Jason for forwarding to a few of us in the community.

Sounds like you have got it pretty much covered with your explanation Mel.

Setting up some formwork is a great idea and it makes it much easier to keep a straight edge for your render/concrete.

Just remember to keep an eye on your thickness so you don't have issues with a lip against your slider. Personally I have always left a little bit of a slope or fall away from the slider so it doesn't run back into the sliding channel.

As for the gap a silicone will do it but you may also be able to go to Bunnings or your local Glass and glazier and see if the have any matching powder flat Bar to either silicone on or if you are able drill and pop rivit.

I hope this has helped a little bit, I've really only emphasized the same procedure you had in mind.

All the best with your future projects.

Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions

Warm regards 

Rob 👍

MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Rob that is great. And thanks for the tip about a matching metal edge that would be better than some timber beading. Should I worry about sloping the edge to allow for drainage or is it too small a space to worry about it? Thanks again. 

I wouldn't have a huge slope and yet I would put some fall outwards.

Say about even 4-5mm in 100mm wide.

See how that goes and maybe see what is suggested by our other community members

Warm regards Rob 👍

MelBrown
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Rob. That is what I thought. I will give it a go. I will post pics as I have progress. First I need to clear out the shed and see what tools and supplies I have available. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects